Friday, August 28, 2020

Round the Fire Pit: Season 4, Episode 5 of Wynonna Earp

Welcome to this week's 'Round the Fire Pit': a Round Table Discussion of Wynonna Earp! 

We had a couple of regulars unable to participate this week. Thankfully, a fearless Earper joined us as a guest panelist!

This week around the table we have:

Earpnado (@earpnado)
Lynn (@lynn_rachels)
Office (@nedleysoffice)
Kayla (@ViewserAlert)
Lindsey (@xfbard)
Laura (@usuttontorwort) -- thanks for joining us this week, Laura!!!

IN ADDITION, we opened up one question (question #6 regarding your favorite reunion) to all Earpers.  We've picked four answers to include that we really enjoyed!  Thanks to all those that sent in answers for that! We hope to do it again this week.

So, without further ado...


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Doc suddenly seems to be more of a peace-maker and less of a "shoot first, ask questions later" version of himself.  What do you make of that?  Do you agree with this new attitude?  Do you think it will last?

Lindsey – I think that Doc has realized that he has made some poor decisions throughout his much extended life.  And these mistakes have often been plainly pointed out to him by those that he considered his friends/family.  Perhaps he has decided that he doesn't want his future legacy to be one characterized by unnecessary violence.  People change.  And I think that deciding that maybe they should all start giving peace a chance is actually a pretty noble endeavor.  Do I think it will last?  No.  This is Purgatory.  They fight demons.  He is going to have to make a choice.  Choose peace and walk away from the Earps and their battles, or choose to fight and have a chance to be a part of the crazy family that he so obviously loves.  I think he chooses to remain in the fight. 

Lynn – I will stress again that I am #TeamDoc and I think he realizes that the Team really doesn't have any way to defeat the Clanton's without Peacemaker.  It is not that he isn't willing to fight, because he would fight to the death for his family, but Doc knows that his human friends are no match, at this point, for whatever dark magic the Clanton's possess.  It is not a sign of weakness!  I am not sure Wynonna is ever going to buy into it, but at least the Team is talking things over and sees the power in togetherness! 

Earpnado – I think Wynonna referred to this as everyone taking their Gandhi pills?  Seems like everyone is trying to get Wynonna to take a breath and slow down instead of going straight to plan Z.  I don't think it's just Doc, and I'm not sure we really know Doc's attitude.  He's a hard vampire to read.  Although he did say that he's a weapon and Wyatt said he was bound to him, so maybe instead of being a "peacemaker" he's actually Peacemaker.  Like maybe the real Peacemakers were the sexy blue-eyed vampire gunslingers we met along the way (this is not a real theory, I just like wordplay and you said peace-maker so this is really your fault).

Kayla – I don't think that Doc has ever been one to fight unprovoked, but it seems that seeing the way Wyatt described their days together that history has been rewritten to paint their side as heroes, and others as outlaws. I think that Doc had a similar revelation when he went to hell in the alt universe in season 2.  Despite being on the side of "good," he still ended up hell bound.  In the end, he went to the same place that the outlaws killed by Wyatt went, despite his intentions.  I think he's grown from thinking "if I end up in hell anyway, what's the point?" to "how can I right my wrongs and stop this cycle from continuing." Who knows, maybe Doc's new found attitude to make peace will be the thing that breaks the Clantons from the curse of their own.  I think it will last, and I definitely agree with how he reacted in the episode.

Office – Doc, wow.  It... there is so much going on with Doc this season and I really should be paying more attention to him.  It was super fascinating to see him react to what Wyatt was saying, and having Doc say that Wyatt's version was untrue; it seemed harsh what Wyatt was saying, but we have seen nuggets of truth to it.  But, much like with the Clantons, they would also say that both Doc's and Wyatt's versions are untrue – our memories change over time and our version of the truth (especially when it comes to ourselves) doesn't make it the actual truth.  So, I don't know exactly what to make of what Wyatt said or of Doc's reaction to it.  HOWEVER, I will keep going back to my favorite line ever from Doc Holliday.  It was the first episode. At the time Wynonna wasn't super impressed with Wyatt, saying that he killed a bunch of people.  Doc said, "Wyatt Earp wanted to be a farmer. ... Sometimes, life chooses for us."  There was such reverence and sorrow in Doc's statement.  Doc Holliday has been living with the Earp-Clanton-Holliday curse longer than most people still in the picture; I can understand him being a little tired of it and maybe just wanting to run off and be a farmer.  But, ultimately, if the Earps need him to say and be a gunslinger, I fully believe that is what he will do. 

Laura – Like every character in this sh*tshow, I'd take Doc in a potato sack sucking on a lollipop if I had to. That being said, I like the growth of Doc's character especially coming off of what was the more selfish act with best of intentions when Doc became a vamp.  Not sure it can last as long as he’s part of the Earp demon-fighting crew.  None of these people are perfect but Doc really did come from a different time and he had to not only learn to grow out of that time, but into an adult with a child and loving relationships with his found family. Bring on the newly inspired Doc Holliday I say! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Let's talk about The Nuns.  What's up with them?  What do you think they want with "The Woman Scorned" (who we now know is Rosita, or someone that looks like her)?  And do you think that Wynonna will serve The Woman Scorned up to the Sisters or no?

Lindsey – Ahh, the Nuns.  Well, it seems like they definitely aren't holed up in the "Sanctuary of the Scorned Woman" simply to hone their choir skills under the direction of an incognito lounge singer with a heart of gold.  So, that alone leads me to believe that they are up to a bit of no good.  That and the fact that the "head Nun" seemed to be exceptionally judge-y of Wynonna.  Tsk...not very charitable for a woman of the cloth.  And why do they have an ENTIRE ROOM full of weapons which apparently includes a reluctant Peacemaker?  Sketchy sketch...  As for what they want with the Woman Scorned....yeah, that's a tough one.  And it leads me to ask, why is Rosita THE woman scorned?  I’m assuming it goes back to when she was killed by Wyatt over a century ago. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that those aren't really nuns at all, but yet another clan of demons that have now taken up residence in Purgatory.  Perhaps they need a link to Wyatt’s curse (Rosita) to unleash some other form of hell upon the populace.  I guess time will tell.  

Look, Wynonna and Rosita’s relationship is troubled, we all know that, but does that mean she will simply hand her over to the nuns?  I think her first impulse might be to do just that, but that ultimately Wynonna will protect her from whatever plans the Sinister Sisters have in mind.  Perhaps we find out more about Rosita's story and in the process both the audience and Wynonna will conclude that despite their prior difficulties that she is worthy of redemption. 

Lynn – To be honest, I never in a million years would have had Nuns on my bingo card!  As a product of a catholic school education from the dark ages, Nuns in full habit attire scary the crap out of me! Sister Agnes Joseph, my 6th grade teacher, was one of the meanest women I have ever met in my life. Oh, sorry! I digress! Back to the question...

The saying, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" dates to 1697 by William Congreve.  It implies that a scorned woman is more furious than anything that hell can devise.  The Mother Superior welcomed Wynonna to the Sanctuary of Scorned Woman and explained that their mission was to release these women for the judgements they have placed on themselves.  Maybe Rosita sought refuge there after she betrayed Wynonna at the end of Season 2.  Rosita promised the Nuns that she would allow them to abstain her indiscretion if they would save her when the Earp curse was broken.  Rosita was saved but reneged on the deal.  The Nuns are furious and want her back to fulfill the promise and join their order. 

I think Wynonna will choose to work with Rosita and Doc to trick the nuns, save Rosita, and Peacemaker will finally show herself as a result of Wynonna's selfless, forgiving act! 

Earpnado – I'm really invested in finding this answer out since I have that symbol they saw right before Wynonna was yeeted to the Nuns (Celtic sisters knot) tattooed in a pretty embarrassing place on my body.  I'm hoping that doesn't mean I'm part of some weird religious demon nun cult, although they did appear to have a pretty badass arsenal of swords and armor, so I guess there are worse tattoo curses.  I honestly don't know what they want with Rosita, unless maybe they're as obsessed with her coat as I am. 

Kayla – The last time we saw a creepy supernatural painting change on its own, a doll made WynDoc say horrible truths to each other, and tried to steal Doc's ring.  Not a fan.  I definitely don't trust the nuns yet, but I know that Wynonna will try anything she can to get Peacemaker back to stop the Clantons and save Nicole.  But OMG ROSITA!!!  I will take her back any day.  The whole gang has made choices that have jeopardized each other (see: Nicole making a deal with the Earp's arch-nemesis to get Waverly back), and always have the chance to redeem themselves.  I think Rosita deserves that chance too.  And I think she didn't look terrible in that coat either.  I think Doc's peaceful attitude will definitely (LOL I know nothing) come into play when it comes to handing Rosita over, and force Wynonna to make a choice between betraying Doc, and getting Peacemaker back.  It's never going to be easy, is it?

Office – So, The Sisters of The Ugly Paintings and Medieval Weapons was unexpectedly unexpected!  First, the nuns totally gave me creepy, keep your beliefs out of my life please Karen vibe.  But, then they were saying they were trying to save women from the judgements we place on ourselves.  And, you know, it might be nice to have some water poured on my face and then no longer be so judgmental about myself?  It seems like that would be cheating, but it would also be nice?  But, ultimately they still give me the heebeejeebees.  But, if they are most interested in women who judge themselves harshly, how interesting that it's Rosita they're interested in.  What we know of Rosita is that she was at the wrong place at the wrong time and that's how she became a revenent.  And, heck, if Nicole broke down and made a deal with the other side after 18 months, maybe Rosita making a deal with someone (and trying to steal the next Earp heir) after 160 years is understandable?  This answer is all very stream of consciousness right now, but Wynonna I think has an amazing amount of forgiveness in her... but she did try to kill Wynonna’s CHILD.  So... who the heck knows what will happen?!?!

Laura – My best friend when I was a teenager went to Catholic school and my father was an altar boy, so what I know about nuns gels with what I saw in this ep and the teaser for part two.  Also, there was this horror movie about a nun.  Either way, I don't trust them. Eden wasn't all it's been discussed in books with that funky machine so these nuns are not exactly on the up and up either.  And why would these weird nuns, that seem more like demons according to the teaser, have Peacemaker?  Did the Clantons find Peacemaker and couldn't hold her so Mam hid it with the demon-nuns?

That being said, I love that Rosita is back and I'm hard pressed to say that Wynonna is going to serve her up on a platter. I think Wynonna and Rosita are going to have a truce of sorts but in the end, Rosita is going to sacrifice herself for the team.  She has her own reasons for trying to make things right for the group but mostly Waverly.  So maybe Rosita helps get Nicole back...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Peacemaker seems none too pleased with Wynonna (or is she)?  What do you think is behind the sword-gun's reluctance to be reunited with the Earp Heir (if that's the case)? 

Lindsey – Maybe Peacemaker found herself a nice sentient battle axe to settle down with while Wynonna was gone and is just struggling with the decision of if she wants to go back to the demon hunting life?  Eighteen months is a long time, and a sword-gun can get lonely....

Ok, in all seriousness, Peacemaker has been through a lot.  She was a gun, then a sword, and then she disappeared when the Garden going got tough.  Maybe Peacemaker is just tired.  Tired of only being wanted because she is THE demon killing gun.  I mean she didn't choose to be tied to the Earps for all time.  Or perhaps she is trying to show Wynonna that she doesn't need a "special" gun to keep her family safe, that she is enough all on her own.  Ultimately I do think that Wynonna will reunite with her beloved gun, but I think it will only be after she fully realizes that it isn't the gun that makes the woman, it's the heart of the woman that wields her.  And then hopefully they will go on to make beautiful demon killing music together in 4B. 

Lynn – I don't believe Peacemaker is unpleased with Wynonna.  I just think she is waiting on Wynonna to prove herself again.  I think Peacemaker's reveal is tied to Rosita and how Wynonna chooses to handle the Scorned Woman situation. I believe that Peacemaker will reunite with Wynonna next episode and help the Team defeat the Clantons!

Earpnado – Peacemaker has never done Wynonna wrong, and I don't think she'll start now.  As it should be with everyone's journey, she'll come out when she's ready ;)

Kayla – Peacemaker is omniscient and that bitch don't do anything unless it's for good reason.  I think it's one of two things.  Either Peacemaker knows that Wynonna has some sort of mission to accomplish before they can be reunited, or something that happened in the garden is affecting their ability to connect.  Wynonna now yields the flaming sword in the capacity of the champion, not as the Earp heir.  Their relationship has changed, and her duty to use Peacemaker has changed.  She no longer uses Peacemaker to put down revenants and send them to hell, but to protect the garden.  Now with no guardians at their post, Eve who knows where, and Julian's ring stuck in the garden – what does that mean for the champion?  I think it's going to come full circle somehow and I can't wait to see it!

Office – I have to admit that I'm a happy that they're following up on the fact that Peacemaker does have a mind of its own.  However, do we even believe the Sister when she said the gun was in that room?  Maybe Peacemaker is being held captive somewhere and it needs to be rescued.  Or maybe it's like Doc and is kind of over the whole living its life based on the past.  So maybe it's just hiding in Nedley's luggage in the hopes that it can retire to a Hawaiian beach somewhere already.  Or maybe it's feeling very judgmental about itself and wants the Sisters to wash it of that judgement (Wynnona did start referring to Peacemaker has 'she' I noticed).  Regardless, as one of the more standoffish and finicky characters on the show, I do very much welcome Peacemaker's return whenever it happens.

Laura – Well, if the demon-nunnery is where scorned women go and Peacemaker is there, is she feeling scorned?  Couples counseling ahead for Wynonna and Peacemaker!  Do we have a ship name for them yet?  Wynmaker?  Peacenonna?  Wynopeace? I think the sword-gun thought the war was done for her.  The big, bad evil was gone thanks to our champion and the garden had it's offering guardian. I'm sure Peacemaker was feeling like a nice rest was in order but then doesn’t realize that maybe there's more out there, and these Earps aren't going to rest on their laurels.  There's still an Earp Heir and she needs to keep her family safe and Purgatory free of demons, puff-ball monsters, and BBD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Speaking of none too pleased, Nicole seemed none too pleased with how Jeremy behaved when everyone else was in the Garden. What's your take on both Jeremy's behavior then and Nicole's reception of him now?

Lindsey – I think Nicole has every right to be mad at Jeremy.  And before anyone says "but he had to protect himself and Robin," yeah, I know, and I’ll get to that.  Think about it first from Nicole's perspective.  She's hurt (physically and emotionally) and Jeremy is the only one left who knows what she is going through and he ghosted her.  Left her to fend for herself.  And yeah, she is fully capable, but it still hurts knowing that there is one person out there who can help you and he is choosing to stay away.  I'd be mad too.  Obviously these two need to have a LONG, drawn out conversation, but there is no time for that right now so Nicole lashes out.  Calling him out for what she sees as an abandonment.  I think that until she knows all the whys that Nicole has valid reasons for being angry.  And even when she does know the details, she feels the way she feels. And that's ok.  It's all a matter of if they can get past it.  And based on the ending of this episode I guess she has, at least a little bit. 

Now Jeremy.  Let's look at it from his perspective.  As far as he knows everyone except Robin is gone.  Either on the train to nowhere good, or vanished into the Garden.  I get why he would send Robin to a safe place and then retreat back to BBD.  It's the one place where he can keep an eye on the happenings in the GRT and still try to help his friends.  And he's right, contacting Nicole while his communications were being monitored would have been super risky.  And yet, I think that there must have been a way for him to at least communicate with Nicole.  Not let her think that he was leaving her totally on her own to find the Earps and Doc, but maybe that's just me.  At the end of the day they both had to do what they thought was best in their unique situations.  And now they have to deal with the effects those decisions had on their relationship. 

Lynn – I think both the reactions of Nicole and Jeremy were valid.  We know that Nicole managed to escape the train thanks to Kate, but we have no idea what Jeremy had to endure.  I feel like his survival strategy was to immerse himself back in BBD to keep an eye on what was happening until Wynonna, Doc, and Waverly returned.  I feel sure in his own sneaky way, Jeremy kept up with Nicole.  Nicole, on the other hand, felt totally abandoned by Jeremy.  She was struggling to keep the homestead safe!  She could have really used the help or at least moral support.  I understand her frustration and hurt, but after his explanation, she softens towards him. 

Earpnado – I kind of love petty af Nicole.  She's sassy in a way we haven't seen from Nicole before.  I swear the Wynonna writers started breaking every episode with "So what are we gonna make Kat do this week?".  This week's challenge was apparently being petty and frog barfing.  And as usual, she killed it.  I do feel bad for Jeremy though, because he seems to genuinely have done everything he could to protect the people he loves during those 18 months.  He's definitely hurt by Nicole's jabs, but he still didn't hesitate when she needed help immediately after giving him sh*t about disappearing on her.  Although I guess technically he killed her at the end of the episode, so maybe there was some catharsis in that for him.  Like maybe he had a moment where he didn't know if he could do it and then remembered one of her snarky comments and found the strength to keep her under the water.  Side note – I'm not super loving the way he keeps saying "He's safe, that's all that matters" every time someone asks about Robin.  Not ominous or weird at all.

Kayla – I can't imagine what it felt like for Nicole to be on her own all those months, knowing that the one member of their team who was in the GRT with her just ghosted her.  She probably thought of all the ways that they could team up to come up with a plan, just like they had so many times before, only to be ignored.  Left un read.  It's no wonder that she ended up so desperately begging Mam for help.  Where else did she have to go?  Who could she talk to?  Her main support system was a 17 year old girl that she probably felt she needed to take care of and protect.  I can completely see why Nicole would be pissed, and not so thrilled to deliver decorative balls to Jeremy's office.  I can see it from Jeremy's side too – it was the same when Dolls worked for BBD.  There were times when Dolls ghosted Wynonna or lied to her in order to protect her.  Jeremy couldn't contact Nicole without risking her life, and he knew that she wouldn't give up, wouldn't stop fighting.  Little does he know (probably due to the frog in her throat), that seems to be exactly what she did.

Office – Okay, I really enjoyed how Varun & Kat played that perfectly.  They didn't have a lot of scenes about it but you could feel the tension and emotions at play between Jeremy and Nicole (and poor Waverly in the middle, yet again being the glue that holds this family together).  None of us really know what Jeremy actually went through; we have heard Jeremy being asked a lot about Robin and saying Robin is 'safe' and to 'leave him out of this'.  So, if Jeremy was spending his time making sure to keep his boyfriend safe, just as we know Nicole would have spent time making sure her girlfriend was safe, then, well, that seems reasonable?  Also, what struck me the most, and again because it resonated so much with what we are all living through right now in the time of Covid, was when he said they were all doing what they could to survive.  In short, I absolutely wish that Nicole had had Jeremy during those 18 months, and I think her reactions to him now seem justified, but I suspect his actions at the time were also justified.

Laura – It's been nearly 19 months since everyone was gone and we're not sure how long since Nicole heard from Jeremy.  So to lose everyone she loves and was trying to protect, get Jeremy back but then lose touch with him again, plus all the other crap she dealt with...I'd be a little pissed off too. Nicole had every right to get snippy and snotty with Jeremy.  We're all entitled to get a bit snippy with people when you're locked down at your house for months and months.  Jeremy wasn't wrong though.  He was trying to survive too and keep things moving as best he could into Purgatory.  Maybe sending a carrier pigeon to Nicole would have helped.  That being said, they're still family and really stronger than blood.  So when she needed help and someone she could trust with hexes outside of Waverly, who else would Nicole turn to but Jeremy.  Get the frustrations out and then let's stop this froggin' nonsense!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Puking up live frogs vs. puking up Mictian.  We know Nicole was willing to kiss Waverly after the latter.  Should Waverly be willing to kiss Nicole after the former?  Which is worse?  Show your work.

Lindsey – One time demon puke vs. MULTIPLE frog pukes, PLUS tequila frog puke. There is a BIG difference there, IMO. First, once Mictian was gone Nicole knew that Waverly was done puking.  That's not the case with Nicole.  She is still actively voiding frogs at extremely close intervals.  Secondly, if the purpose of the hex is drive a wedge between them all who knows if once she started puking that any more personal interaction with Waverly wouldn't cause MORE puking? Too risky, so I'm gonna say no kissing.  Baby girl you do you, hold her hair back, tell her you are there for her, but do not kiss her until she is de-frogged and has brushed her teeth.  

Lynn – Waverly will be more than willing to kiss Nicole after puking up frogs. I don't think it is a contest for the worst possession or hex, but the fact that #WayHaught is endgame.  They will always take the good with the bad and love each other regardless!

Earpnado – Both seem to be pretty gooey.  They were apart for 18 months though, and Waverly just had to watch Nicole die, so I would imagine she'd kiss her even if she was an actual sh*t-eater.  Also I don't know if you've seen either of them, but they’re pretty decent looking. 

Kayla – You're telling me that Nicole didn't burst into Shorty's, demanding tequila, just so that she could kiss Waverly?  The NERVE of you people!  I think part of the problem may also be that when you propose to someone like, 3 times, and they don't ever give you a straight answer... that might affect things in the kissing department. But NOT in the stairs department.  In fact, all floorboard departments are safe in this scenario. Anyway, what was the question?

Office – Who came up with this questions, wtf?!?!  Oh yeah, I did.  Sorry.  So, let's see, Mictian is an evil entity that appears to be an oil-like substance but definitely had a worm body after Waverly puked him up.  That sounds like something really horrific to puke up.  When Nicole was all kissy kissy after that, I knew it must be true love.  Now frogs.  At least they're small and not oil?  Also, they're innocent (we think?) and not evil.  So, I'm going to say that puking up Mictian was worse and that, yes, Waverly should be willing to kiss Nicole after she puked up frogs.  And my college lit teachers who made me write so many 'compare and contrast' essays must be so proud of how those skills they taught me culminated in this answer.

Laura – This is such a ribbitting question, truly a croak of brilliance.  In a word, yes. True love doesn't care if you've spit out an oily eel-demon or frogs.  There will be kisses and hugs, hopefully a wedding this season, because Wayhaught is endgame.  For now, we just have to get through Nicole's death, find Peacemaker, figure out why Rosita is the only revenant still around, and basically save the world...again. I'm sure all of this will happen during Holy War Part 2 so that the back half of the season will be nothing but Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls karaoke.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. We've had so many reunion scenes between almost all of the characters. Any that stand out to you as a favorite? Any you're still waiting for?

Lindsey – Obviously the WayHaught reunion is pretty high up there on my "favorite" scale, even before they made it into the homestead and onto the stairs. I just love seeing the two of them together, and in love. It makes my normally stoic heart happy.  

I also really loved the Wynaught reunion at Shorty's.  These two women have come SO far since they first met and forged the most unlikely bond.  They have gone from hurling accusations at each other to fighting side by side to save their little family.  Yeah, they may hit and curse at each other along the way, but isn't that what family is?  Wynaught forever!

The reunion that I am most looking forward to that hasn’t happened yet...I'm not sure if this really counts as a reunion, but I really want to see Nicole and Nedley talk.  Like really talk.  I think Nicole needs him to tell her that she didn't let anyone down and that she is still the person they all need her to be.  He may be the only person that she believes.  

Lynn – I am a huge #WyNaught fan, so the reunion before the garden with the right hook was priceless!  The reunion hug in Shorty's was heartwarming and made me tear up!  But, my favorite scene, even though it's really not a reunion, was the conversation between Wynonna and Nicole on the porch after the frog barf on the boots.  It was so touching and showed their friendship has evolved to BFF status for sure!  I am still waiting on the Wynonna/Mercedes reunion in the present! 

Earpnado – It's not necessarily my favorite, but I thought the "reunion" between Doc and Wyatt was pretty clever.  Doc's face when he was first looking at him was almost amorous, but by the end he definitely seemed to be conflicted about Wyatt.  It's not often that you get to see a century old friendship suddenly have a new twist.  This show never stops surprising me, which is one of my favorite things about it.  That and how many times they say f*ck.  And the poop jokes and puns.

Kayla – I think I more than covered my reaction to my favorite reunion in week 2 of Round the Firepit, but honorable mentions go to Jeremy and Wynonna's reunion.  That whole scene was perfect.  The way she went in for him and he guided her through the conversation until she understood she needed to follow his lead, and explain how she'd definitely never killed any demons.  The way she needed to answer to Agent Arp. So SO good.  In terms of one I'm waiting for, I've been wanting to see Mama Earp come back since the season 3 finale.  She's just been out there for like 2 years "looking" for Julian?  Don't you think someone in the thralls of a passionate love affair with an angel might be able to help shed some light on WTF is going on?  Her reaction to the curse being broken, to Julian's death, to Waverly taking on his role.  I would like to see it all.  And I'd like to hear what kind of frog puns she comes loaded with.

Office – The reunions have been so SO gratifying this season, each has been unique and appropriate to the characters.  I think what I've been struck by the most is that, generally, they are all just throwing themselves into each other's arms -- that is there first and most instinctual reaction.  So many hugs of relief and reconnection and each one has brought a tear to my eye.  When they wrote all these scenes we hadn't even heard of Covid, but in the time of Covid, seeing these people that love each other just embrace each other over and over, well, it would have been emotional anyway, but now especially it just makes me feel a lot of things, okay?!?!  If I had to pick just one, though, I think the full body impact of the WayHaught reunion on the front porch with their tears and their 'are you real?' simply won't be topped in my mind, but I did also love the desperation of the broTP hug between Wynonna/Nicole after their return from the Garden – it was so full of both gut-wrenching and beautiful emotion.  Of course, having Nicole give Nedley the cold shoulder hurt the most and it was only partially alleviated by Nicole asking Nedley to kill her later (lol). 

Laura – Do I lose any cred if I don't say the Wayhaught reunion in ep 402?  For many reasons, and yes that one is the number one reason, it would be that reunion.  There are two relationships on this show that anchor it, Earp Sisters and Wayhaught.  The Wayhaught reunion was the balm to my soul.  It was everything I never thought we'd get and definitely what we needed after two years away.  The happiness in Waverly’s smile and eyes when she first sees Nicole, then Nicole who is clearly tired but when she sees Waverly it's her whole world come back to her. Also the way Kat and Dom played the reunion scene in totality was so subtle and precise. 

My next reunion would be Wynaught during the Chili Cook Off (FOR FREEDOM!).  Nicole's finally getting her family back and while she's got a ways to go we can see in her face that it's healing her bit by bit.  Wynonna's never had a best friend and she clearly loves Nicole so seeing her alive, standing and clearly holding down the fort in a ass-backward Purgatory is the best hug I've ever not been apart. 

I'm waiting for a great Earp Sister moment, not necessarily a reunion.  But the garden reunion was short and they need one of their fireside chats where they share all the good and bad with each other.  The love and connection these two have is really the glue that keeps the found family rolling so we need to make sure they get their time as well.  I know it'll happen, just me over here being a patient Earper.

PDubs (@Peacewind13) I mean... I think nearly everyone will pick the reunion for Wayhaught in 402... but I really enjoyed WynDoc's reunion. They have absolute soft moments every so often and I adore every second of them.  Anyone who knows me knows how damn soft I can be. Gimme all the fluff!  A close (very close) second would be Wynaught hugging at the cook off.  What a long way those two have come.  I feel like the tail end of 307 was the beginning of them really truly getting along, almost like sisters.  Adorable psychos.  They just needed Monique to push them along.  Given how Holy War Part 1 ended... I'm bracing (craving is more like it) for another WayHaught reunion.  That one will be set to combust with emotion.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  All I know is it will make me feel things.  That is what I’m here for!  SLAY ME, ANDRAS!

Bri (@bri_loves_earp) I'd have to say, overall, that my favorite reunion was Wynaught's 2nd reunion, although Wayhaught's reunion is a very close second place.  I'm not exactly sure why, but there's something about that hug that destroyed me. Maybe it was just the brilliant way it was portrayed, how Nicole held Wynonna in the hug as if she was afraid to let go, and how that gave a bit of insight into what Nicole may have been thinking in those 18 months.  Not to mention the little banter they had immediately after reuniting with one another and how the reunion itself was at a chili cookoff (for freedom) for Wynonna to save her own life.  There was so much pain in Nicole's voice and the scene itself was able to portray so much emotion with roughly 2 or 3 lines of dialogue.  All in all, I just think that the scene was so well written, directed and acted in a way to keep the continuity of Nicole and Wynonna's relationship while being able to demonstrate the idea that Nicole has been through a lot while the trio was in the garden and give justice to those emotions even in the midst of something as ridiculous as the Randy Nedley Memorial Chili Cook-Off (FOR FREEDOM!).

Sydney (@sydthekid41319) I think my favorite reunion was probably Wynonna and Jeremy. I love that you can see how far their friendship has come, especially since season 3 when Wynonna was trying to kick Jeremy out but now they're always hugging and joking around.  It's absolutely adorable and sweet because you can see the character development from both of them!

Earper Lovester (@EarperLovster) I am for sure waiting impatiently for the Wynonna / peacemaker reunion. And I'll be brief, whatever form peacemaker will take, pistol, sword or bagpipe, I will be SO excited to see what Wynonna learned during all this time without her, and how this has changed her perspective now that they are reunited!  Game changer upcoming! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7) This is a choose your own adventure question.  You can answer all the parts, just one, or as many as you'd like.  1) Any guesses as to what Nicole's actual deal with Margot was - what it was she agreed to when she said she'd do 'anything.' 2) Any guesses as to what Amon's history with the Clanton's is? 3) Any guesses as to whether Sheriff Holt is actually a decent guy? 4) Any guesses if Wynonna and Doc will actually have some alone time soon?

Lindsey – 1) I think she agreed to give up or kill Wynonna or Doc (I lean more toward Wynonna).  I think the intent was that Nicole be used to destroy the Earps from the inside.  Agreeing to this deal would mean she gives up any future with Waverly, but I think desperate people do desperate things and that in order to bring Waverly home safely she might just agree to it.  Knowing that she would at least get to see her love one last time.   

2) I’m not convinced that he actually has any history with them.  I think that Amon just wants power.  And the Clantons stand in the way of that.  So assisting Wynonna to take them out benefits him in the moment.  And then he can turn his attention to other "problems" like Wynonna the demon killer. 

3) Maybe he was at one point, but the moment he allowed his family to make dubious choices for him he lost himself.  He got what he wanted, to be Sheriff, and it doesn't seem to matter to him that he's only in that position because his family put him there.  Can he be redeemed?  Time will tell.  Will he fight against Margot?  Will he let Nicole take her rightful place as Sheriff?  I guess we have to wait and see. 

4) Magic 8 ball says "not until 4B."  Next week seems too fraught for WynDoc sexy time.  

Lynn – 1) My guess is that Nicole agreed to kill Doc Holliday.  She had the most severe reaction to him driving up to the homestead when she was talking to Wynonna.  I honestly don't think Nicole would have promised to do anything to Waverly or Wynonna!  What Nicole didn't take into account, is that Margot always planned to double-cross her and kill them all! 

2) I have no idea about Amon yet?  Except I do not trust him at all! 

3) I think Sheriff Holt is caught between a rock and a hard place and has no choice but to follow whatever Margot has for him to do.  We can only hope that when the time comes, Sheriff Holt chooses to do what is right, over what he is ordered to do?!

4) Wynonna and Doc will get some alone time together after the Clantons are taken care of!

Earpnado – I hope Wynonna and Doc get some alone time soon.  This show is blue ballin the hell out of those two, and while the tension is delicious I'm afraid one of them will actually explode.  No really, this show has blown people up before (#RIPLucado).  At this point I think they'd settle for alone time on Cleo's couch in the BBD office.  I do love that Wayhaught was like yeah moving guys take what you want, leave the couch.  Those two never met a couch they didn't want to *insert Wynonna’s gay lady sex hand gestures here* on.  Now let's get WynDoc some quality time on their furniture item of choice.

Kayla – I'm going to keep this short and sweet. 1. This keeps me up at night.  It must be something REAL BAD, because Waverly wouldn't say, "Knowing you, how bad could it be?" for nothing.  I'm thinking she offered to sacrifice herself or one on their team.  2. Ever since the weird red-eye things, I've thought Amon was Eve.  What if we see Amon's face again in the show, but somewhere completely out of place for him to be, revealing the Glory Hole Amon was actually Eve all along?  Why Eve would want Wynonna to get Peacemaker, I'm not sure.  Maybe Eve knows what happens if the Clantons get a hold of Peacemaker and put down the Earp heir?  3. I think Holt is a decent guy, and is having the same internal conflict that Doc is having.  That scene between them in the demon bar was really powerful, and I think is dropping hints to us.  I think Holt and Doc teaming up will be what keeps the Clantons and Earps from literally killing each other.  4. DEAR GOD I HOPE SO, I CAN'T TAKE MUCH MORE OF THIS. Did you SEE what Wynonna wore to sleep in Doc's bed (the barn bed will always be Doc's, can't change my mind).  How he called her "EVERYTHING?" Those two need to get down before the world ends, or before Amon comes in to sweep one (or both!) of them off their feet.

Office – I'm going to go with 1) to start with.  I have to say that I was a little proud because in last week's Fire Pit discussions I said that if we're going to throw around a term like 'anything' (in regards to what Nicole would do to keep Waverly safe), then we'd better be ready to back it up. Well, Mam seems to have come up with something pretty devious that Nicole has agreed to.  No idea exactly what it is, of course, but my current thinking is leaning towards driving a wedge between Waverly & Wynonna.  If Nicole kills Doc, Wynonna will probably not like that but perhaps Waverly would stick by Nicole, thus driving a wedge between Wynonna & Waverly. If it's found that Nicole even said she would sacrifice Wynonna for Waverly, again, Wynonna would probably not take too kindly to that, and, it's not clear where Waverly would come down on that issue, again, driving a wedge between the sisters.  As Mam said, it's not just about killing the Earps, it's about having them destroy each other.  So Nicole being the instrument that tears that family apart would be... let's go with 'angsty'  As for 2) No idea, but Amon's voice is AMAZING.  For 3) again no idea, but I do think Holt is more trustworthy than Cleo (which, granted, is not saying much).  For 4) Well, I will say that Wynonna seems to be going to bed every night dressed for the possibility.

Laura – I loved the Choose Your Own Adventures books when I was a kid!  I mean what's better than being able to go in 40 different directions in a story and it still only being ten pages long to read.  Hopefully I don't ramble on for ten pages but I make no promises. 1) I've gone back and forth on this thought.  What could Nicole possibly agree to that even promising would cause Nicole to think Waverly wouldn't want to be with her anymore.  The one thing I keep coming back to is that it has something to do with Peacemaker.  Perhaps Nicole promised to give Peacemaker to Margot whenever it's found and that's another reason why Nicole was upset when Waverly tried to talk about finding it. 

2) Amon strikes me as the type to know a lot about all evil things so knowing about the Clantons doesn't seem odd to me. He's like the Continental for monsters and demons, all who go to the Glory Hole are safe and known by Amon without repercussion unless they do something on the grounds.  Also if you haven't seen any of the John Wick movies none of this will make any sense.  I did have someone tell me they think Amon is Eve but I'm wondering if Eve is connected with the demon nuns instead.  Did you see that face the one had in the teaser for 406?  It looked exactly like Eve's when Waverly was getting upset with her in the garden.

3) I think Holt isn't necessarily decent but caught between a rock and crazy mama.  Kind of like Wynonna and Waverly cursed to carry on the legacy their ancestors laid out for them. However, he certainly isn't a good guy so I'm still out on what he'll mean for the story.  He and Cleo both are characters that you tend to feel sorry for and hope they come to their senses by fighting against their Mam instead of doing the evil she wants them to continue.  But since I know Nicole makes a better Sheriff, his ass still needs to go!

4) Dear god I hope so! The teasing and tension between those two is getting to be a LOT.  Plus don't they deserve some happiness?  I think they've both grown so much too that they're finally coming to a place where they'll be good for each other in the long haul. They both bring their own strength and weakness to the party now and aside from having Alice to take care of, they also definitely love each other. They just need to get out of their own way and make it officially official.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8) What question didn't we ask that we should have and what is the answer to that question?

Lindsey – I have SO MANY giant angsty questions that have giant, angsty, feelings-fueled responses, but I'm not going to do that to myself this week.  I'm going to keep all of my feelings bottled up (cuz that is TOTALLY healthy) and only ruminate about them in the privacy of my thoughts.  No promises for next week.  So I am going to go with:

Q:  Did Puffball Monster Nedley eat Calamity Jane? 
A:  Gosh, I hope not, but maybe.....probably....hopefully not.

Lynn – I could not think of a question that I could answer, so I just decided to throw this out there...Do we now have two Reapers or was Ike dissolved when Billy was changed?  Heck, I have no idea!

Earpnado – I don’t know what the question is, but the answer is Wynonna in the barn with the lingerie.  

Kayla – TW: Drowning scene. I want to know what's going to happen with that CLIFF HANGER!  The heartbreak and devastation on Waverly's face, even while dragging a piece of a footboard around attached to a pink fuzzy handcuff, was too much for me to take. Nicole knowing that her choice would devastate Waverly, but knowing that she had to do it anyway. She had to make things right so that she can SAY YES ALREADY DAMN IT. 

Office – Question: "So, the preview for next week called Waverly Earp 'Waverly Gibson' in the newspaper article.  This is the second time we have seen her referred to as Waverly Gibson this season (the first being on the book in the Garden). The only other time we've seen her referred to as Waverly Gibson is in a universe where Wynonna didn't exist.  What do you make of that?”

Answer:  I know, right?!?!  Maybe Waverly chose the book for 'Waverly Gibson' because that gives her a history of herself if she wasn't in any way associated with the Earps.  Is she a Clanton?  Is she a Holliday?  Is she a muthah effing Gibson and they are total badasses, too?!?!  I DON'T KNOW!  BUT I AM INTRIGUED!  ALSO WAVERLY EARP IS THE EARPIEST EARP THAT EVER EARPED!!  (thank you for letting me get that off my chest).

AND ANOTHER ONE!  Question: "Were you surprised that it's Waverly tying up Nicole and not vice versa?"

Answer: I object to the notion that it's not vice versa.  I mean, it could be vice versa, too!  But as for the revelation that Waverly ties up Nicole, I was a wee surprised, admittedly, but pleasantly so.  Good for them, and I can’t wait for the fanfic! (thank you for letting me get that off my chest, too).

Laura – A question that wasn't asked is if you had to face 100 frog sized Nicoles or 1 regular sized Nicole, when do we get to have Nicole back?  The answer is before the end of the mid-season.  I have always and will always continue riding this bus.  My trust in Emily and the writing team is steadfast so while I know there's this drama and angst it's all for furthering the story.  Nicole's story this year has been tops and I love that Kat is being able to showcase her ability.  She's a great actress and this is such an above and beyond year for her as Nicole that I'm psyched to see where they take it next.  But seriously, go for the frog sized Nicoles.  The regular Nicole packs a hell of a bunch.  Just ask Wynonna!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment