Friday, August 21, 2020

Round The Fire Pit: Season 4, Episode 4 of Wynonna Earp

Welcome to this week's 'Round the Fire Pit: a Round Table Discussion of Wynonna Earp! 

We cannot thank our participants enough for their continued support:  

  • Earpnado (@earpnado)
  • Docstache (@HollidaysStache)
  • Lynn (@lynn_rachels)
  • Office (@nedleysoffice)
  • Jody (@TheGoodJody) 
  • Kayla (@ViewserAlert)
  • Lindsey (@xfbard)

We've been asking for a lot of predictions but seeing as we're terrible at that, we went with a lot of feelings this week, heh, and our participants are yelling at us more. I'm okay with that.  We hope you enjoy reading through what our panelists thought of Episode 4 "Afraid". Like last week, when Lynn and I had the same answer for one question, these week it's Kayla and I syncing up on one question -- as I said before, that's friendship!  :)

So, without further ado...


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Not directly related to this episode, but just something we've been wondering about: We have all been affected by the COVID pandemic.  We've been social distancing and some of us have been isolated for just about five months now and under increased stress.  Do you think that this effects the way that you view Wynonna Earp? How so?

Lynn – That I think is a definite yes! I kinda knew, long ago, when Kat mentioned that she would like to see a “Dark” Nicole, that angst was on the way. Now that the season is here, we have watched four episodes and the angst for Nicole keeps building and building, I find myself less open to it all. Don’t get me wrong, Kat is knocking it out of the ballpark each week. Melanie continues to give acting lessons on how to use facial expressions and comedic timing to tell a story. But, after five months of real-life craziness, sadness, loneliness, anger and frustration, I selfishly want my Wynonna Earp heroes to fight the “Big Bads” together with none of these emotions attached. As much TV as I watch, I know angst is all part of a good story, but my happily-ever-after gene has kicked in and just wants it all to be okay now! I trust Emily and the writers! I already love this season a lot! The storytelling is incredible! It will all be okay! 

Kayla – I mean, did Wynonna once use a pool table pocket as a stirrup? OF COURSE! I am a firm believer in the idea that sometimes having something to look forward to can be more affective (yes, affective, stay with me people), than the actual thing you’re looking forward to. Luckily for Earpers, each week’s episode is even better than the tantalizing 6 days in between (remember that one time we waited TWO YEARS – HOW). Especially when life feels so monotonous, and the things we read in the news seem more outrage than the last, having something GOOD and FUN and that feels like FAMILY is everything. I watched this week’s episodes with Earpers for the first time (after we had quarantined, of course – Hi R&R) and WHAT A FEELING! Nothing beats sharing what you love with people you love. And even though it feels like the world is ending, I mean every word.

Office – Oh, this is a hard question and my answer changes every day. I think, ultimately, that watching the show reminds me of how many amazing experiences I have had and how many friends I have made and all the things we’ve done together. Because of this show I have these people in my life to fall back on now during these tough and isolating times – I have these memories of absolute joyous and raucous cons where there was lots of hugging and can’t-even-catch-your-breath-laughing and yelling and singing (badly) and these memories of get togethers of Jenga and Wynonna Earp Jeopardy and passing around a plastic potato that would literally shock you if you were holding it at the wrong time to the point of it really not being fun, but it was fun, so much fun (but okay, seriously, Aussies have TERRIFYING party games! LOLOL). I have these fantastic memories of all these times of being with friends and found family. So, watching now, in the era of Covid, reminds me of these times and reminds me that we WILL have these times again. So, for this and for so so many other reasons I cannot begin to articulate, watching #WynonnaEarp right now reminds me to be hopeful. And that is such a powerful and needed emotion right now for me. Hopeful.

Lindsey – For me personally, yes, it definitely colors the way I view and absorb Wynonna Earp.  As the months of this pandemic have gone on I have found myself less able, and willing, to watch programs that that don’t bring me immediate happiness.  That means that instead of binging a bunch of new shows while I have been at home, with the exception of “The Making of Frozen II,” I have fallen back on old favorites.  They are familiar and easy for me to consume.  I can watch them and not have to think too hard.  Wynonna Earp is the only new show that I am watching.  

After the emotional investment I put into the FFW there was no way that I wasn’t watching the new episodes the moment they hit the air, but I definitely feel that I view them differently.  I find that my ability to compartmentalize my positive and….less positive…emotions diminishes the longer I am stuck at home.  For me that means that my angst-o-meter is running on overdrive. It’s all angst. ALL. THE. TIME. Like any Earper, I have my favorite character(s) and I have feelings about the choices that are made about and for them.  I find that I am feeling those feelings much more strongly and I have to work harder to temper my initial, gut-punch reactions. Sometimes I am successful, sometimes not. 

I have always looked to Wynonna Earp to provide a distraction from the world around me.  And now more than ever I just want to watch the shows I love and have them provide a break from the dumpster fire that is EVERYTHING 2020.  And when Wynonna Earp causes me to FEEL more than I want to it is taking more effort not to overreact and to show the patience to let the storylines play out.  That’s tough on a good day (year) let alone when I am fighting with emotions that are bubbling more closely to the surface than normal due to an elevated level of everyday stress. Look, I love this show and I love all the good that it has brought to my life.  And I am not going to let outside troubles interfere with that, but I would be a fool to say that I view it through the same lens that I did during the previous seasons. Wynonna Earp is still an hour each week that I am allowed to forget about everything that I have no control over and just enjoy the wild ride. It hasn’t changed, but I have. And that is ok. 

Sorry if this got a bit...jumbled.  It’ has been a tough week and I’m just trying to hold it all together.  

Docstache – The show has been a beacon of hope for me. Something to look forward to. Between brain surgery, chemo, having covid, and having no business for 5 months, shit has taken its toll on me. The show has so much strength in it. That strength manifests itself in so many ways and onto the Earpers. It’s like an unspoken empowerment. Also, Tim is really hot so that helps too.

Jody – Increased stress is an understatement! The world is crazy right now, and I can’t even hug most of my loved ones to feel better. I need more fun and silliness, and kindness and love and warmth and all the good things that this show and this fandom provide, now more than ever. Also, we won. We fought, and we actually won. I know this isn’t part of the question, but this show and our fight has changed me (and has changed the way I watch). In 2016, I lost hope and a little faith in humanity. Meeting Earpers, fighting and winning, being part of a group of people that believe in love and kindness and inclusivity - all these things restored me. And I will forever be changed.

Earpnado – It affects how I watch everything – when people are all in a room together on TV I’m like WHERE’S YOUR MASK ARE Y’ALL JUST BREATHING ON EACH OTHER LIKE IT’s 2019…but honestly I’m kind of glad COVID doesn’t exist in the Wynonna world.  It’s nice to escape from all of this bullshit for an hour.  Ya know, by watching a totally chill show where nothing bad ever happens hahahahahaaa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. So Doc isn’t the only one making deals with the devil, so to speak. What are your feelings about Nicole’s little evil pennies in a jar with Margot (Mam)?

Lynn – Well, (that is a deep subject too) Waverly did a very similar thing when Nicole was bitten by the Widow Mercedes. She jumped the gun because she had to find a way to save Nicole. Now, we have lonely, frantic, OCD Nicole, who finds herself without her family for 18 months, and sees no other way to get them back. We have yet to find out exactly what the deal is with Margot(Mam), but we all know it’s not good! There are always consequences to our actions, good or bad. Desperate times means desperate measures! I have faith that her family will make it all right again. In Nicole’s own words, “Your mistakes do not define you”! Remember that sweet Sheriff when all hell breaks loose this week!

Kayla – Were they pennies? I DON’T KNOW. It looked like some kind of bones with potentially locks of Nicole’s hair, which then proceeded with the least sexy rendition of Lord of the Flies known to man? Either way, I am SCARED. Nicole seems to think that Mam had nothing to do with getting Waverly and Doc out of the garden, but why did a little “C” appear above the door that lit up for them, allowing them to make their escape? What scares me even more is that Mam played along in front of Waverly, acting as if she’d never met Nicole. Which can only mean she’s playing a long game, which NOPE leave Nicole alone pls! Also, why would Mam want Doc and Waverly and Wynonna out of the garden? And how would she even have the ability to help get them out? I think we’re about to see what a family curse can REALLY look like… again, SCARED.

Office – I think there are more questions unanswered about this than are answered and as such, I’m reserving judgement and, also, I’m so here for this ride: 1) When did she make this deal? (1 month in? 12 months in? 18 months in? 18 months three weeks and three days in?) 2) What *is* the deal? (I have feelings it involves giving up Wynonna – Nicole did say when she gave the Creepy Jar of Creepy Things back to Mam that ‘Waverly and Doc’ made it back on their own, not that ‘Waverly, Doc, and Wynonna’ had made it back on their own. That makes me think she made a deal to get Waverly & Doc back in return for Wynonna not returning or something like that.) 3) How did Nicole even come into contact with Mam? (The only person connecting her with Mam (that she would trust) is Rachel from what we know so far. Just sayin’.) 4) Is this (a deal with Mam) something that Nicole would even consider ever doing in the first place? (Well, to that I say ‘yes’. I mean, how many of us have said and believed that Nicole would do *anything* to keep Waverly safe? And as someone who believes words have meaning, if we’re going to toss around words like ‘anything’, we’d better be ready to back that up, otherwise we become a Meatball song. (I’m so sorry for that reference (no, I’m not))). Also, I’m sorry for ending that answer with three close parentheses (again, no, I’m not).

Lindsey – Oh I definitely have a lot of FEELINGS about this. I have been told that I shouldn’t project my feelings and speculated about things that haven’t happened yet, so I am going to try and keep my train of thought on what we currently know about Nicole and her situation. 

Before I talk about whatever deal she seems to have made, let’s think about what we know about Nicole from three seasons worth of content.  Nicole is strong.  She is confident.  She is loyal.  She is smart and capable. And aside from that little mishap with Waverly’s DNA results we have never seen her to be anything but a woman with a strong moral compass and who stays true to who she is.  I get that a year and a half without Waverly and just trying to survive New Purgatory would have been hell for her.  Searching for her girlfriend and her friends while at the same time trying to keep the homestead safe has obviously left her with some emotional scars.  It appears as though at some point during that time Nicole came into contact with the Clantons and that she presumably learned something about their beef with the Earps.  And while she may not know what their end-game intent is she would have had some inking that nothing good could come of any association with them.  And yet, that is what appears to have happened.  

Now we don’t know what exactly Nicole agreed to provide to Ma’am in exchange for helping Waverly and Doc get out of the garden, but based on what happened when Nicole refused to pay up and that mason jar was opened I think I am justified in thinking that it wasn’t totally above board. I’m going to make a tiny prediction here and theorize that Nicole was supposed to give up Wynonna in exchange for getting Waverly back.  And now...well now she finds that she doesn’t really want to hurt her BFF.  Here’s the rub.  You can’t make deals with demons and expect that nothing bad is going to happen.  And Nicole KNOWS this.  So I am supposed to set aside everything I know about Nicole and just accept that miss-pleat-in-her-pants was so desperate that she was willing to take that chance and completely compromise who she is in the process?  Would Nicole really do something so COMPLETELY out of character? I guess we’ll find out.  I just know that having a character make decisions that are so drastically opposite from who they are is not really my jam. Remember that response about trying to stay patient and let things play out?  Well, this one is REALLY testing me. 

Docstache – I thought they were bees! And who the hell knows. I’m sure it’s some sort of curse or hex placed on her where she will go all cuckoo for cocoa puffs. Also, Tim brought up on After Buzz how no one seemed to notice that when Doc & Haught first saw each other after getting back from the garden, she wouldn’t hug him. What’s THAT all about?! Ive also noticed a lot of split-second moments where she seems off this season. Something is lurking. There’s a Haught storm a’brewin!

Jody – Poor Nicole! She is NOT having a good year. Although she did just have amazing, mind blowing stair-sex, so maybe her year isn’t that bad after all. Sooooo, back to the question – first, was it pennies? It looked more like leaves (from trees, that maybe Bulshar or an evil entity controls???). Regardless of what it was, I think Nicole lost everyone she loved and was willing to do anything because she had nothing to lose. Or so she thought. I have a feeling her deal had something to do with the fact that the Clantons hate the Earps (stating the obvious). I am very scared for her, but I think ultimately, they will figure a way out of her deal with the devil because although the Clantons have a feud with the Earps, Waverly is not an EARP. I think this will somehow factor into it, but how it does I have no idea. I never have any idea with this show.

Earpnado – Mam’s Lil Jar O’Fun™ makes Doc’s side job boosting booze from stagecoaches seem like child’s play.  I have no idea what is living in Nicole now, but I guess technically it’s her turn to be possessed.  I said last week that the whole Eve!Nicole thing meant she got a free pass from being possessed, but I guess Eve was just Eve and never actually possessed real Nicole.  Nicole is always jealous when the Earps get to do fun shit without her – now she’ll know what it’s like to have an evil entity inside of her a la Mictian in S2. If she starts collecting forks and shit maybe we panic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. A lot is being made about Wynonna not having Peacemaker. Where do you think the gun-sword is and do you think that Wynonna will get it back? Or perhaps more importantly, do you think she ‘needs” it back?

Lynn – In Christian lore, when Adam and Eve were removed from the Garden, God placed a flaming sword to guard the path to the Tree of Life. In Wynonna Earp lore, when Bulshar, the snake, came down to Earth, Juan Carlo and Julian followed him.  It was decided that a champion must be chosen. The Angels gave the flaming sword in the shape of a gun, Peacemaker, to that champion, Wyatt Earp. 

When Wynonna, Wyatt’s heir, completed the task and defeated Bulshar, the Flaming sword vanished. Personally, I feel, the inner strength, determination, stubbornness and bravery needed to fight the evils of Purgatory are already in Wynonna, in fact in all of them. But, as Jeremy pointed out, a lot of bad stuff came into Purgatory. This bad stuff must go back to hell! Maybe Wynonna needs the sword to do that, maybe not? It all goes back to the Garden, the ring and the book doesn’t it?!

Kayla – I think that Wynonna has already shown that she doesn’t need it back to be the chosen one (I mean, did you SEE the way Ike looked at her? Hello!). She’s willing to risk it all for everyone she loves no matter what, and with or without that gun there is no way in revenant hell that she is letting anything happen to her team. Everyone is still referring to her as the “Earp heir” which is interesting, but I wonder if in context of the season that means something very different now. Perhaps, the heir to receiving revenge from the Clanton clan?

Office – “Peacemaker is just a gun!  Waverly is Waverly!!” That is, Peacemaker is and always will be, and rightfully so, a secondary concern to Wynonna. But then again, I feel like Peacemaker is actually a part of the team. Peacemaker is… kind of sentient? I mean, it lights up different colors, it can be a bit of an a-hole (like when it didn’t fire for Wynonna in the biker bar after Willa came back), and it can also be really awesome (like when it *did* fire for Waverly when she shot Rosita).  Peacemaker has been part of the Earp curse (and maybe been around even longer than that) since the start… I don’t think Wynonna *needs* Peacemaker, but for me, on a personal level, I hope she finds Peacemaker and it becomes part of the team again. Also, imagine the amount of speculation we could do if it does show up again and glows yet ANOTHER color!!!!!

Lindsey – Oh Peacemaker, the flaming blue gun-sword. Where oh where did you go? So I haven’t thought A LOT about this, but I have given it a bit of space to rattle around in my brain.  So here is my theory.  After Bulshar was slain and Waverly was vine dragged into the garden Peacemaker could have disappeared for one of two reasons 1) the Earp curse was broken and Wynonna didn’t “need” it to slay revenants anymore OR 2) Peacemaker the sword disappeared because Waverly the “guardian” was in the Garden and she needed it there.  Now, we never SAW Peacemaker in the Garden, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there.  After all, there were many more doors leading out of the control center chamber than we got explore.  Perhaps Peacemaker is in there somewhere, just waiting for Waverly, or her Champion to retrieve it again. So, what happened when Waverly left the garden?  Good question.  

I think that maybe Peacemaker fell back into Purgatory through a portal and landed near where the stairs used to be, back in gun form. However, unlike Wynonna, it landed in “real time” and at some point during the 18 months, 3 weeks, and 4 days that Wynonna was gone someone else found it and now has it in their possession.  My guess is that the Clantons DO have it.  And that they will use it against Wynonna at some point during their upcoming clash.  Perhaps even arming a possessed Nicole hoping that she will use it against her BFF in the ultimate act of revenge and betrayal.  Now, wouldn’t that be… dramatic. I do believe that ultimately Team Earp will prevail over the Clantons and that Wynonna will retake possession of Peacemaker. Does she NEED it though? No, Wynonna doesn’t NEED Peacemaker, she is enough all on her own, but if it makes her feel like she has her mojo back I’m all for her having it back on her hip.

Docstache – Well whatever form it’s in, it’s magical. So magical things tend to disappear and reappear, right? Yes, I think she’ll get it back. The show isn’t the show without it. I love how there’s this story arc of the reuniting of Wynonna & an inanimate object. It’s almost like Peacemaker is her one, true soulmate...DESPITE ME THINKING & WANTING IT TO BE DOC!  I think Wynonna THINKS she needs it back. Like she bases a lot of her internal strength on that gun. She doesn’t realize how strong she truly is. But on the surface, yeah she needs it for all the big bads to get dead.

Jody  – As I just said, I have no freaking idea. Yes, she needs it back because something magical will be needed to kill Eve, who is definitely going to make a reappearance.

Earpnado – I don’t think she needs it, but I think she’ll find it somehow.  This show is all about connection, curses, and now Clantons.  Peacemaker is a big part of the legend, and now that we’re getting deeper into the Earp legend, I have to think it will make a triumphant return.  I hope Wynonna finds it soon, because listening to her scream when the Reaper was coming for her was not fun.  This show should be called “I Scream, You Scream, We all Scream It’s In The Script A Lot” and they’re all terrifyingly good at it.  Peacemaker would’ve been handy on the killing floor too.  Also our show has a killing floor now so that’s probably fine. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Go google the Clantons. Now, name one fact about them that you find super interesting or that you’re sure will somehow relate to the show (Even though you know nothing we think will be right).

Lynn – We have a heck-of-a-lot of good “Waverly” researchers out there! I have read several lengthy threads about the Clantons, Claibornes and Haughts. So, to find something new to share would almost be impossible. So, I just concentrated on something I felt was interesting. Ike Clanton, the Reaper, threatened the Earps on several occasions leading up to the gunfight at the OK Corral. Then, being the coward that he was, ran away from the fight and was unharmed. Billy and Ike had two other brothers, John and Phin. They also had two sisters, Mary Elsie and Ester Ann. It is interesting that Mary Elsie had 5 children and Ester Ann had 10 children. Clantons running all over the place. Since Margot(Mam) says she is the heir, then in my mind she must be Mary Elsie, the oldest of the sisters. Not sure how the writers are going to weave this historical web, but I love that once again the real Old West meets Wynonna Earp!

Kayla – I found this really interesting article from 1995 from the Associated Press, which highlights that descendants of the famous Clanton’s from the OK Corral are looking to tell the “other side” of what happened that day. According to them, the Clanton’s were unarmed, and attacked at the direction of Vigil Earp (with Wyatt and Doc in tow). They claim that history has been exaggerated in order to keep the story, and the name of the town alive. To make matters worse, when Virgil, Wyatt, and Morgan Earp (along with Doc Holliday) were arrested for the murder of one of the Clanton’s, they were let off by a judge who was related to the Earps. With this backstory in mind, I’d be PISSED too. But who would have been the one to curse the Clanton’s?

Office – As someone who is in to ancestry and genealogy, I googled to see if I could find any living relatives of the Clantons and what they might be up to these days. What I found was that in 1995 and 2000 they had reunions of the descendants of “Old Man” Clanton. The articles are fantastic and generally about a family trying to clear the names of the Clantons (or at least make them not out to be complete bad guys… or at least no worse than the Earps themselves).  This is my favorite quote from the article about the 1995 reunion:  “I want people to know the other side of the story,” said Terry Clanton, 37, an actor from Whittier, Calif. “Hollywood spends millions and millions of dollars and they keep getting the story wrong. . . .The gunfight at the OK Corral was a murder cover-up conspiracy. That’s what it comes down to.”  I don’t have an opinion on what actually happened way back when, but I do find it super interesting that in real life, that family is dealing with a kind of ‘curse’ still, which, you know, sounds relevant.  The article(s), which I highly recommend reading, are here: 1995:   https://apnews.com/d31a7b84ccad47cfa13e0c451ca77920  2000:  https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2000-10-26-0010250736-story.html

Lindsey – Ok, this is SUPER ridiculous, but as I was reading about Ike Clanton I found out that during an episode of Star Trek (the original series) Captain Kirk played Ike as part of an alien illusion test.  During the episode Scotty played the role of Billy Clanton and the pair were forced to prepare to face the Earps during the battle at the OK Corral. So, can we have William Shatner reprise his role as Ike Clanton on Wynonna Earp?  On a more relevant note, during my reading I found it interesting that the Clantons operated a cattle ranch, but that they never actually registered a brand which was required by law.  So, that “C” brand that Waverly found....nope....never “officially” existed. 

Docstache – Why are you making me google shit?! According to Terry Clanton, a relative of the Clantons, and Joyce Aros, an author and historian, Doc Holliday was actually the catalyst behind the gunfight at the OK Corral & not Ike Clanton. So, Holliday may have been involved in the famous botched robbery of the Benson stagecoach. Doc was drunk & caused a lot of bloodshed that night. Ike Clanton was aware of this, & it’s why Doc came back to Tombstone. He knew Ike Clanton might bust him out. So the night before the O.K. Corral gunfight, Doc threatened Ike Clanton with his gun. If Doc’s gun had been taken, as is done if found w gun in city limits, and put in jail, the O.K. Corral fight would have never happened.

So my theory is the Clantons will have a personal vendetta with Doc that has nothing to do with the Earps. The vendetta probably stems from the fact that Doc Holliday is so hot & they are just jealous. Cause who wouldn’t be. plus Doc is perfect & DOESNT DO ANYTHING WRONG!

Jody –  Ike survived and is now shackled in the backyard as a reaper. Who did he make his deal with to be able to become a reaper and enact revenge on the Earps?

Earpnado – Ummmm I signed up for Round the Firepit not AP Weird High School History...lucky for you I’m a nerd so I’ll do it, but I’m gonna drink while I do it so take the rest of this with a grain of salt.  And a lime.  And a shot of tequila.  I looked up Ike Clanton since that’s who they said the Reaper is (I think? I know nothing).  Seems he actually testified in real life that Wyatt Earp cursed him, so that feels relevant.  Either that or Earpers have taken over Ike’s Wikipedia page and wrote that fact in, which honestly I would respect on a level I can’t even explain.  The wiki page didn’t say anything about him being a ghastly creature who drools a lot, so who knows, might not even be the same guy.  I do know that I think we were supposed to be afraid of the Reaper, but Mam makes the Reaper look like a Care Bear so maybe I should’ve googled her to see if she was real.  But now I’m drunk and don’t wanna.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. This week saw the return of the Black Badge Division, although not quite how we remember it.  What do you make of the “kinder, gentler BBD?”

Lynn – Forgive me if I am less than trusting of government! Just because the “exterior look” and lower management has changed, doesn’t mean that the interior heart of the organization has changed. As Naomi puts it, “And if you think I’m afraid of demons, just wait until you meet Upper Management”! The best I can do, is maintain a wait and see attitude and leave my options open for BBD. Not in a very trusting mood these days! 

Kayla – Personally, I love it. I mean, did you SEE those state of the art floors, windows, couches, AND bathrooms? I also want to know who the bosses are, though. Is it still super scary guy who killed Eliza and made them sign blood contracts? Because if BBD employees are more afraid of their bosses than literal DEMONS, I think we’re in for something wild. Also, quick shout out to the scene where Wynonna sees Jeremy for the first time, and she lets him guide her through the conversation. The hug, the cute knowing looks, the subsequent “love ya JerBear” - I AM SOFT.

Office – I fully admit that so many things I watch these days I see through a lens of the current political climate in the U.S.  And watching Agent Haicha I couldn’t help but think that while complete incompetence / being in way over your head (the new Black Badge) is less terrifying and, frankly, more forgivable than generally competent but evil (the old Black Badge), both situations, when in positions of power, are not really that tolerable. But overall, I think I like Black Badge run by fishery agents who feel guilty about serving bad fish more than I like it run by people who would just as soon make a huge crater out of your town and make you sign things in blood.  But also… BBD is purposefully trapping humans and demons inside a closed space just so they can observe and watch what happens, so are they really that incompetent or are they just acting that way?  On the third hand, I trust Jeremy and he seems to think they’re all okay.  Basically, I have a lot of thoughts and feelings and few of them are entirely coherent yet.

Lindsey – Think that this version of BBD is really interesting.  It has seemingly gone from a shadow agency with overly hostile feelings about demons and the Earps to a high-budget public outfit staffed by seemingly in-over-their-heads staff. I think that this bright, shiny, happy exterior is just a front.  And that Jeremy knows it and is kind of afraid of what will happen to them if they fail and demons leave the GRT. I also think it’s possible that Deputy Assistant Director Naomi Hycha isn’t who she seems and is putting on a very good act. Please, no one cares THAT much about Perch.  In a very X-Files esque twist I think that maybe the “real” BBD higher ups are secreted away in a basement (or derelict warehouse) somewhere just keeping an eye on things. Waiting for the right moment to re-emerge and go back to their hard ass, town crater making ways. 

Docstache – I think it’s all rouse. I think BBD was and always will be shady as fuck. I mean they legit stole their acronym from Bel Biv Devoe. ??That division is poi-sonnnnn...never trust a black badge and a frown....that division is poi-sonnnnnn??

Jody – BBD looks a lot like Men in Black. I think they have $ and resources but not a clue. Also, what happened to the old BBD and Art from Orphan Black???

Earpnado – You mean the government people in charge who are completely incompetent and unqualified yet seem to think they’re really good at it?  I live in America, so I can’t possibly imagine what that feels like. Also I’d like to know what this writing room has against guards because every chance they get they decapitate them.  Like when I see a guard on this show now I’m like welp, say bye bye to your head ya poor bastard. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. “All I have is my people.” Wynonna was determined to get everyone back together; and this was the first scene we really had of all of them back in the homestead.  How did it feel to see them allllll back together?

Lynn – Lordy, lordy, we have all been waiting for the gang to be back together for over 18 months ourselves! Once I see them all in a room, including Nedley and Jeremy, the wait will be over! I do admit that seeing most of them sitting there talking, sharing and strategizing, was a sight for sore eyes! It’s time to kick butt, take names, and take Purgatory back! Power in numbers, power in shared vision, power in found family! 

Kayla – The fact that SHE was the one who called out that they were missing Jeremy really got to me. I love how she has grown to accept him as part of the team, and to love him. Seeing them all sitting around the Homestead, brainstorming and sharing what kind of whackadoodle nonsense occurred during their day, just feels peak Earp to me. Can we also scream about how Nicole and Waverly are such protective moms, and wanted to go chase Rachel out the door, but cool-aunt-Wynonna swept in and told them to let her go. Where did Rachel go? Did anyone else pick up on the sketchy way Nicole told everyone to stay the hell away from the Clantons? DID THEY EVER HAVE TACOS FOR DINNER? 

Office – When that scene started, I just LOVED seeing them all together under one roof, gathered around not just the proverbial kitchen table but the ACTUAL kitchen table. But I still ached for the one person who was missing: Jeremy. So, for me it was fantastic that what they discussed when they were all finally together in the Homestead was how to go get their nerd back. This is the found family that they cobbled together and that we all fell in love with and fought so hard for. What can I say other than I loved seeing them all together, I loved it. They were home. We were home.  Also, I wonder if the pen drawer full of knives has some actual pens in it again thanks to Waverly’s abandoned PowerPoint presentation?

Lindsey – Honestly, I think by this point in the episode my sole focus was on the feeling of impending Nicole doom.  I mean, did you SEE the almost panic on her face and the steel set of her jaw?!

I will admit it WAS great to have them all around the kitchen table though.  Scheming about what they are going to do about the Clantons felt very much like the band was back together (well 75% of the band anyway) and that just maybe they will find a way out of this mess.  I won’t rest easy though until Jeremy and Nedley are back in the fold. 

Docstache – Peachy-weachy with all the warm fuzzies. Look, I just want to see WynDoc BACK-BACK together. Like would they could they in a truck? Would they could they while Wynonna’s stuck? I do not like this WynDoc tease, I do not like it, EMILY PLEASEEEEEE!

Jody – Why are there so many questions about my feelings???? I was smiling through the whole scene, but also, WTF is going to happen???

Earpnado – Any time our posse of dipshits is together I’m happy. That happiness was of course immediately tempered by seeing the Clantons all together at their homestead doing their weird little pre-dinner ritual.  “Never forget and never forgive” doesn’t slap quite as hard as kumbaya, but to each his own I guess.  I do think that a lot of important stuff is happening in kitchens though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. You’re making a Powerpoint about how awesome your favorite character is.  The first slide is <your favorite character name> is awesome, here’s why…”  What’s on the second slide?

Lynn – This is really a hard choice for me! I would want to do a Powerpoint for Wynonna, Waverly, Doc, Nicole, Jeremy, and Nedley! But since I must choose just one, I will go with Wynonna! My first slide would be, “Wynonna Earp is awesome, she’s everything a Superhero should be! She is fearless, smart, strong, brave, loving, head-strong, and “A Crazy Chick With A Gun!) My second slide would be a picture of Wynonna with Peacemaker with that beautiful grin on her face! 

Kayla – Unfair to make us choose just ONE, so here are the 2 things that popped into my head immediately after reading this question:

“Because beauty and brains are not mutually exclusive” with photos of Waverly being a cute, and also photos of her research wall. 

“HAVE YOU SEEN HER” with photos of cop!Nicole, sheriff!Nicole, toque!Nicole, girlfriend!Nicole, bun!Nicole, bonusblanket!Nicole, etc. etc.

Office – 

•  He’s, like, the most mysterious and famous serial killer ever, what’s not to love!?!
•  He didn’t actually KILL Nicole, he just had her left her on the side of the road to die, not the same!
•  He SHEERED OFF THE END OF DOC’S GUN WITH HIS HELLFIRE FINGERNAILS, who else can say they did that?!?!?
•  His “Oh, I wish I could stay,” just before Wynonna shot him in the head and he was sucked down into hell will forever haunt me and also delight me

Signed, a forever Jack of Knives stan

Lindsey – The second slide is absolutely a picture of Nicole, back in her PSD 3rd Season uniform, complete with the white Stetson.  She is seated back at her Sheriff’s Office desk.  She is leaning back with her hands folded and her feet up on the corner of the desk. Nedley’s stuffed Bass is still on the wall behind her.  And underneath is the following:

                              “My name is Nicole Haught, and I AM the Sheriff.*” 

Kudos to you if you get the movie reference. :) 

Docstache – Doc Holliday in a tank top that has “I Love Docstache” on it, slightly out of breath, hat off, locks of hair hanging, with that slight smirk that curls up his stache and makes those dimples pop as he twirls his gun into his holster, and in that sexy af growl says “My heart is no longer burdened by an Earp for I have seen my future and it lies within the state of Iowa and her name is Docstache.” p.s. I have never done a power point, but thanks for the question. That image is now permanently seared into my brain.

Jody – I actually don’t have a favorite character – I kinda love them all.  My powerpoint would be all about the writers and how amazing they are for making me laugh, smile, and feel all the feelings.

Earpnado – This question is mean because I LOVE PowerPoint but I refuse to choose a favorite character.  So my PowerPoint is about how mean you are for asking this question, and every slide is just the word WHY in different fonts.  My wipes are killer though, so you’ll watch the whole thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. What question should we have asked but didn’t and what is the answer?

Lynn – I posed this question after the second episode, “How was Doc able to kick Eve out of the Garden?” I may not have the correct answer, but after watching Episode 4, I at least have a wrong theory. Just like in Episode 4 when Billy pulled the tooth to save Rachel and immediately called off the Reaper, I think a similar thing happened with Eve. At the moment when Waverly said, “Help me!” to Wynonna, Eve’s hold was broken, and on earth, Nicole was making her initial deal, which opened the portal at that exact moment for Eve to be kicked through. Then later, after Nicole seals the deal, the “C” door opened to direct Wynonna, Doc, and Waverly back home to the new Purgatory. I will say again that I feel Waverly is the key to ending the Clanton’s reign of terror and for that matter with Eve. I think she must go back to the garden, get the ring (Which was Julian’s ring), rely on the book, and maybe even retrieve the sword?!  When Nicole was cut by Bulshar’s minions in Episode 3x12 and was saved by Julian, he said, “There will be a price to pay”. Both Wynonna and Doc echoed, “There always is”! The question I have been pondering is: Wouldn’t Nicole be part angel in that Julian used everything he had to save her? I guess I’m hoping that my eternal “glass half full” beliefs that Nicole’s unwavering love of Waverly, her inner strength and with some of Julian’s mojo still in her, she will be able to bust through the darkness ahead and break the spell?!

Kayla – What are your thoughts on kitchen floors? Tablecloths?
EXCELLENT question, and how relevant. The kitchen is where one retreats to seek privacy with their not-quite-official fiancé. Tablecloths are the new duvet, and kitchen floorboards are the new stairs. What else is there to say? Oh, and Rachel is the new Wynonna-interruptus!

Office – question(s):

•  Melanie Scrofano’s face, yay/nay?  Answer: double plus yay.
•  Amon’s sexy voice, yay/nay?  Answer: yay.
•  The markings on Billy’s face after he pulled his tooth being similar to the markings on Eve’s face when she, well, was Eve, yay/nay?  Answer: I’m going to go with a tentative and curious yay.
•  Kitchen floor shenanigans, yay/nay?  Answer: plus yay.
•  Waverly pulling the sheet over her head after being caught in kitchen floor shenanigans, yay/nay?  Answer: double plus yay.
•  The reaper showing up in my dreams, yay/nay?  Answer: so much nay.
•  Purgatory fire department calendar, yay/nay?  Answer: happy Easter to me.
•  Doc being all stagecoach robbing then calling Wynonna ‘my love’, yay/nay?  Answer: plus yay.
•  Mam is hoarding white Stetsons to taunt us, yay/nay?  Answer: Such a bitch, yay.
•  Still not knowing what book Waverly chose, yay/nay?  Answer: 60 parts yay, 10 parts nay, 30 parts why are you like this, Emily Andras?!?!?
•  Going on with these questions for infinity, yay/nay? Answer: yay, but now I need pasta and sleep so I must end it here.

Lindsey – Oh boy....I’m going to keep it short this week.  

How are we going to fix this Nicole situation? 

The answer....I have no idea, but I am scared for the future state of my heart. 

Docstache – I really like where Nicole Haught is going this season. She has always been this cop/sheriff by day and Waverly’s true love by night. Not that many layers to her. Waverly has an identity beyond Nicole. She has her angel stuff, she has a more prominent role in everyone’s lives. Nicole did not. I’ve really enjoyed seeing Nicole become her own person and I think that despite the fact that Earpers will probably want to murder me for saying this, those 18 months away from Waverly did her some good. I find Haught way more interesting and it’s nice seeing her be more than someone’s girlfriend. We are just starting to peel back her layers and I really hope it continues. p.s. just one more reason we need a season five and also i still want a flashback of a teenage nicole standing out behind the church smoking a cigarette.

Jody –  

•  Does anyone think Amon looks a little like a young Bulshar? He kinda sounds like him as well...food for thought.

•  Also, WTF is going on?

•  Also, seriously, WTF?

Earpnado – How the actual fuck did Doc manage to resist Wynonna handcuffed to a case of booze in the back of a truck?  It’s like, all of his favorite things in one place.  I love our sexy gay aunts so much and hope they keep disrespecting the privacy of the kitchen and the stairs and floor and the wall, but damnnnn it’s time for WynDoc to push the red button.  Maybe they can find a place WayHaught hasn’t been to, perhaps the roof or like...a bed *wink emoji punch emoji pants emoji potato emoji* #GentlePervs #61





No comments:

Post a Comment