Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Round the Fire Pit: Season 4, Episode 6 of Wynonna Earp -- Part 2

Welcome to the actual final 'Round the Fire Pit': a Round Table Discussion of Wynonna Earp for season 4A.

This entry picks up with questions #7 of our discussion of Episode 6. We are serious and thoughtful, we are dipshitty and flippant, it's the #WynonnaEarp way! In any case, thank ALL of you that have read our discussions this half season and thank you especially to the Pit Crew that has been here from the start for their amazing thoughts. 

This entry around the fire pit we have:

Earpnado (@earpnado)
Docstache (@HollidasStache)
Lynn (@lynn_rachels)
Office (@nedleysoffice)
Kayla (@viewseralert)
Lindsey (@xfbard)
Laura (@usuttontorwort)

But, without further ado...


--------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Each character has gone through a lot in the first 6 episodes. Choose your favorite character and tell us what things/events stood out for you most for that character and why. 

Earpnado – Nice try, but I already told you I can't choose a favorite character and I never will!  Instead I'll pretend that this question is "Do you want to see WayHaught re-enact the pottery scene from Ghost?" and my answer is yes. 

Lynn – I feel like the first half of Season 4 belongs to Nicole and Wynonna! I don't want to take anything away from the other characters because there were so many great moments for them as well, but these two were hitting homeruns at every turn. My favorite scenes were, in my opinion, #WyNaught at its finest! The first one begins with the famous punch Nicole gives Wynonna upon first seeing her and continues until Wynonna dives through the portal into the garden. I could not take my eyes off these two! The banter, the one-liners, the facial expressions, the heart, the warmth, the growth and depth of this friendship became so clear! The other was on the porch after Nicole frog-barfed on Wynonna's boots. The love and respect these two characters have for one another is so evident and wonderful.  Magic truly happens in every episode of Wynonna Earp! Season 4 is rapidly becoming my favorite season!

Office – I think it would be hard to argue that any of the characters has gone through more than Nicole this season, if for no other reason than she's been around for so much longer than Doc/Waverly/Wynonna. But, I think Wynonna's experience with The Reaper may have been the single most traumatic event that any of them have experienced. You don't often (if ever?) see Wynonna that absolutely *terrified*. She was cowering away from it. She didn't have wise cracks about it. She was terrified and traumatized and experienced the hate that it felt towards her, and she didn't know why. Her feeling that burning hatred aimed at her from a Clanton goes a long way to explaining why she wouldn't believe that any Clanton could ever reform (and therefore explain why she shot Holt in the back).

Lindsey – Oh Nicole Haught...where to start? If you had asked me this question at the end of Holy War Part I my answer would be a lot different than it is today. The resolution of her mini-arc and the satisfaction that came in FINALLY seeing her happy has definitely mellowed my feelings.  

In episodes 401 through 405 let's face it, Nicole was put through the ringer. And to be honest, I didn't always like it. Some of the things that stood out to me were the events that isolated Nicole from the rest of her family. Look, the poor girl jumped off a moving train, somehow serendipitously located Wynonna in the middle of nowhere, and then sacrificed herself and fell through a hole and broke her leg in three places. Then she was basically abandoned (yes I KNOW, Wynonna HAD to go into the garden to get Waverly and Doc) and unintentionally left to fend for herself for a year and a half. Not knowing if everyone she loved was ever coming back. And while she was defending the Earp homestead MORE things kept happening to her. She lost her job as Sheriff under dubious circumstances, she had to fight off a monster that turned out to be her father figure, and she was so desperate to get Waverly back that she made a deal with a witch.  All of these things left us with a Nicole that was barely recognizable. Traumatized, hexed, and full of guilt and insecurity.

Up until this season we have always seen Nicole as a strong, confident, and noble character. And while I understand (and applaud) the desire to give Nicole MORE character development, I will admit that there were times where I just wanted it all to stop. I wanted her to be happy again. And sure, once Waverly returned, she did regain some of herself, but she still wasn't "our Nicole." And then there was 406. It was an ambitious endeavor to go from dead, to a frog (?), to a ghost, to back alive again, and then to get engaged all in one episode. Frankly, I wasn't confident that it was all going to come together before the hiatus. Thank goodness it did, or my level of angst was going to be unbearable for the foreseeable future. 

As things sit now I can honestly say that I am happy. The resolution of Nicole's first-half story arc was VERY satisfying. And I have hope that going into 4B that we will continue to see Nicole get her mojo back. I am ready to see her fighting up alongside Team Earp and having memorable moments with Waverly as they hopefully plan their wedding all while they deal with the complete madness that is Purgatory. Could I have imagined that this is where Nicole would end up after Wynonna leapt through the portal into the garden? No. And that is part of what keeps me invested. I can't wait to see where Nicole goes from here.  

Docstache – Hmm.... my favorite character...that's a tough one. I GUESS I'll go with Doc Holliday. I love that he has turned over a new leaf and is trying to redeem himself and do better. It's kinda a big deal, for someone who has been going down one path for over a hundred years, to make that choice. He has really made an effort to be there for everyone and yet still has that Doc swagger that I know and love. He's had some epic lines in relation to how feels about Wynonna that have made my heart soar. But to be fair, in my eyes, Doc always stands out in any season even if he is just standing there doing nothing.

Laura – Honestly for me, this is the hardest question. I love all the characters, especially this season, for various reasons and everyone has portrayed them so well. I feel something for Holt and Cleo having to deal with their familial issues even! All that said the one character that has stood out above all this season and it's Nicole Haught. Let's start with Nicole escaping the evacuation trains and helping Wyonna get to the door of the Garden at BBD. In one episode she went from daddy, to hero and then survivor, which any single one of those things alone is ripe for emotions. Nicole was stalwart through the whole losing Waverly to the Garden while also coming to terms as to why her best friend (no take backs - it's canon now!) drugged her and fought off zombies. She sacrificed herself so that the Earp heir could be the one to bring their loved ones back home and helped Valdez escape zombieland (no help from Emma or Woody!).

All of this within the first two episodes of the season, eh! She managed to keep the homestead fires burning, keep Valdez somewhat out of trouble which could NOT have been easy and while she made a bad deal with a witch, she did help bring the team back from the Garden. Something that hasn't really been discussed yet since we all learned what the deal was between Nicole and Mam Clanton in the mid-season finale episode. Was it the best decision Nicole had ever made? No. Was she the reason Waverly, Doc, and Wynonna saw the right door to get them back to Purgatory? Yes. So in the end she was the hero and she had to know deep in her heart, regardless of what kind of deal she made on giving Doc to the Clantons the team was going to always figure a way out of it. Cause that's what they do!

Kayla РIs it super clich̩ to say Nicole Haught? Because Nicole fucking Rayleigh HAUGHT. Things that stand out: 1. Have you seen her 2. Beanies (toques, to be correctly Canadian) 3. Stairs 4. Top buttons who? 5. WE LOVE EMOTIONAL JOURNEYS. I'm going to limit myself to 5 to avoid a 5,000 word essay on the subject. (But also, EYEBROWS ON FLEEK!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. Everyone seems pretty nonplussed that Nicole's bargain with Mam Clanton was that she give up Doc, what's your take on that? How do you think Doc might feel about it? And how do you think their relationship might be affected going forward? 

Earpnado – I would imagine that they aren't that worried about Doc because he's Doc, but also he's a vampire so I'm not sure what Mam was going to do with him or if she even knew about his recent transformation. Maybe she knew and had some magical way to circumvent the whole immortal thing he has going on, but we'll never know since Waverly face fried her. Doc didn't seem to be worried about the Clantons hurting him either, and I'm kind of sad his budding bromance with Holt didn't get to go any farther.

Lynn – If you just think about for a minute, Doc is the only person Nicole would have agreed to give up. She would never have given up Wynonna. So, it is not surprising that Waverly would have been unphased by Nicole's choice, especially once Mam told her that Doc was her main target. No doubt, Doc will completely understand Nicole's choice. I do not see there being an issue between Doc and Nicole, but the wedge between Doc and Wynonna is another story.

Office – I agree, everyone seems a little too unconcerned!! Though, I guess 'everyone' is just Nicole and Waverly at this point? Before, Nicole didn't tell anyone what she'd done because she would puke up frogs, now she might not tell anyone because, well, she doesn't want to tell anyone! But Waverly describing making a deal with Mam Clanton to give up Doc for the safe return of Waverly as a 'silly mistake' does seem to be underplaying the matter a wee thimble. Of course, at this point, have any of them not made a deal with a demon? And Doc seems to be willing to forgive things these days, so, who knows? But I do think that's going to be an interesting conversation between Wynonna and Nicole when Wynonna finds out. 

Lindsey – When it was discovered that Nicole's "deal" with Margot was that she was to give up Doc in return for Waverly's safe return I wasn't surprised. I had surmised that it was either going to be Doc or Wynonna, but in my opinion giving up Wynonna is too steep a cost. And I think Margot knew that.  She wants the Earp/Holliday clan destroyed and at that point she needed Nicole to help her do that. I think she recognized that Nicole has too much of a connection/relationship with Wynonna to agree to hand her over, but that she felt that she could accomplish her endgame through Doc. 

From a story perspective it also makes sense. If Nicole had agreed to give up the Earp heir it would have been harder, if not impossible, for Waverly to forgive her for making the deal in the first place. Thus WayHaught angst. As for Wynonna, I think that she's had too many people she cares/cared for betray her in the past and having Nicole agree to give her up would have been the final straw. Their friendship has become too important within the context of the show to have to withstand the rift caused by that sort of deal. So having it be Doc prevents Wynaught angst. 

As for how it might affect Nicole and Doc's relationship, I don't think it will be as effected as some might think. Remember back in season one when Doc found out that Dolls had agreed to trade him to BBD in order to save Wynonna? At first Doc was pretty pissed, justifiably, but then once he realized the full extent of the deal he relented. His relationship with Dolls may have been a bit strained after that, but they were ALWAYS strained, so not much of a change. Back to the present, if/when Doc finds out about this deal I think he will see it in much the same light. Doc went into the garden to protect Waverly. Nicole made the deal to protect (and bring home) Waverly. Their end game was the same. I think they both know that the Earps are the center points to the whole family, and that sometimes you have to make unsavory bargains in order to keep them safe. Do I think Doc will be done with Nicole, or try to exact revenge? No. I think there might be some tension between them at first, but that the will come to an understanding regarding Nicole’s intent. 

And on a less serious note, does anyone EVER intend to follow through on these deals when they make them? No. Nicole wanted Waverly back. I think in her mind she agreed to the terms thinking that once everyone was home they'd figure out how to deal with Margot and break the deal. And look, that's exactly what happened. And Nicole did pay a price, I mean she frog barfed and temporarily died just so that she wouldn't have to deliver Doc to the swamp witch. In my mind, that's penance paid.

Docstache – Well I for one am completely plussed. I have never been so plussed in my life, nor have I ever used the word plussed.

Yeah, I'm not too keen on Haught giving up Doc. Doc is not hers to give up. I'm thinking Doc isn't stoked about being used as a bargaining chip, but I'm sure he's not surprised. Nicole made it clear in Season 3 how she felt about him. I'm sure he understands why she did it. He does have a history with the Clantons after all. I also think Doc isn't going to be a victim and be all "How dare you." I have a feeling that Nicole was thinking, "we can all deal with Mam when they get back from the garden. She doesn't stand a chance against all of us." If anything, I think making that deal might have shown Nicole that sometimes we do things for the greater good and maybe now understands why Doc has done some of things he has done in the past. Also, Waverly has forgiven Doc, so I'm sure Waves can talk with her about it. But it would be cool to see Doc & Haught have a convo that ends in peace.

Laura – Nice segue from my last answer which was not planned...much. I think everyone will remember that Waverly gave up Bulshar's ring to save Nicole two seasons ago and still the team supported Waverly and eventually helped kill Bulshar. Let's not forget that Doc himself has offered up the Earps to Bobo when it suited his pursuits, turned vampire and kept many secrets from the team in order to keep sights on his goals. And yet the team time and again have not only forgiven but also worked side-by-side with Doc to make sure the "bad guys" are dealt with. 

I think Nicole is completely showing the side of herself that we've all said has been there but we're seeing at the forefront: her humanity. What could be more human than to make a desperate deal after being alone for so long while unable to find her love and family? As I said before, I think she also hoped deep down that after everyone was back they'd help her figure everything out. My guess is Doc isn't going to hold it against her because he understands what a desperate person will agree to when backed against a wall. In the end after the fissure between Doc and Wynonna, Doc will continue to strengthen his bond with Nicole who I am sure as a survivor, former cop, and trustworthy person he will see her as having the common goal of ending things without further bloodshed.

Kayla – Well, right now the only people who know that deal are Nicole and Waverly. Does Nicole even know that Waverly knows? Or, did they have a conversation about it that we'll flashback to later and that's why Nicole was confident in FINALLY (like, come on) going through with the engagement? I don't think that everyone else knows exactly what deal Nicole made just yet, I think they're still grateful she's not at the bottom of a tub in Shorty's, eating flies for lunch. But now with a rift between Wynonna and Doc, I think that maybe the team will be more forgiving than we give them credit for, and everything will be totally fine, and episodes 7-12 will just be Wayhaught wedding planning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

9. Nedley has been knee deep in the action so far this season. What has been your favorite scene/line/scenario that he has been involved in and why? 

Earpnado – Thank God for Randy Nedley.  He managed to be his tough badass self and yet still be so much comic relief this season. Even in the tense scenes, he was the perfect level of funny to ease some of the burn of whatever else was going on. His rapid fire jokes while they were drowning Haught and his "that's her alright" reaction to TinkerHaught's light switch Morse code had me dying. It felt good being able to look to him when the feelings or fears of everything else got to be too strong (or when we needed a super subtle plot recap explained to him/us). It's almost like the writers did that on purpose. And Greg Lawson is a fucking perfect treasure - just the right amount of dry humor and schticky goodness. 

Lynn – Nedley always has some great one-liners. I know the writers love to give him this rich material, because Greg delivers it so perfectly. One of the many lines that made me laugh out loud came in Episode 5 right after we see Mam Clanton break a glass and before Nicole, Waverly and Jeremy come into Shorty’s. Nedley is sweeping up glass it seems and says, "Damn women's softball league!" It immediately brought back memories of my softball days and all the craziness that ensued after each game! Thanks Noelle!

My favorite Nedley scene so far this season is in Episode 3 when Doc, Nicole, and Waverly subdued the Puff Monster Nedley with Wynonna hog-tied on the ground, grinning from ear to ear. The slow motion, the kombucha-filled Super Soaker, the music and the expressions on their faces were so funny and heart-warming at the same time! Special kudos to Melanie for her brilliant acting and for directing this amazing scene.  

Office – Poor Nedley. The dude just wanted to retire to someplace warm and live out his days drinking on the beach in loud shirts and maybe have his daughter visit him in August for his birthday. Next thing you know, he's having to save the town, got bit by demon crabs, was all 'no one uses that old couch', got turned into a puff monster, ate some house pets, everyone saw him naked, missed his own memorial chili cookoff, chanted while his former deputy and like-a-daughter was drowned in front of him, then asked to point a gun at a reaper he couldn't see. I absolutely adored his (and Greg's delivery of the line), "I have no FUCKING clue what's happening here!" In short, I've loved it all! Go, Nedley!!

Lindsey – Gosh I love Nedley and I am SO glad that he has played an expanded role this season.  I think of all the Nedley moments the scenes I enjoyed most were during Nicole's exorcism. He seemed so out of his depth, and yet he was right there in the mix, doing everything that Jeremy asked of him just so that he could help his adopted daughter. Thinking back on season one Nedley could you ever have imagined that he would end up sitting in Shorty's wearing a wolf head-dress, and chanting incantations? I couldn't have. He was so gruff and seemingly unwilling to mix it up as far as the supernatural went, and look at him now. He's been a monster, he's recognizing hexes, and he's 100% all in when it comes to helping Wynonna. 

And when everything goes wrong, because it ALWAYS does, and Reaper Billy shows up he springs into action, ready to defend Waverly when he couldn't even see what he was defending her against. His line of "I have no F-ing clue what's happening here...”  before he cocks his shotgun and follows her into the basement not only made me laugh, but endeared him to me all the more. This embattled, former Sheriff of a bat-shit crazy town has really come into his own. And Team Earp would be bereft without his presence. I really hope that Nedley remains the steadfast father figure to all of Team Earp in 4B.  And yes, I STILL really want that "get off my lawn" moment. 

PS – I really hope Nedley didn't eat Calamity Jane while he was the puffball monster. 

Docstache – Honestly all of the Nedley stuff is my favorite. If it wasn't for his comic relief, this season would be a lot darker. My favorite line would be the "I have no fucking clue what's going on," or however it was worded, because that is kind of the anthem for all Earpers when watching any season of this show!

Laura – Nedley, Nedley, Nedley. What scene has Nedley been in this season that isn't my favorite? And all of his lines have been epic! "Need to have a talk with that softball league." As a former softball player I can honestly say the damage done to Shorty's after a game is spot on and I agree with Nedley's assessment. The Nedley-puffball monster was epic with the whole family surrounding him and trying to tie him up while shooting him with kombucha. My sister loves puns and certainly doesn't spare me when telling them so hearing Nedley tell Nicole and Jeremy "will you drown me instead" during their pun-filled dialogue was autobiographical. I love that Nedley has been so prominent in the episodes and I can't wait for Nicole's dad to have more in store for the back half of season four!

Kayla – As a Taurus myself, I have to say that I was tickled when one of Randall Nedley's biggest life achievements thus far was divorcing one. The delivery Greg gives us on some of those one liners just gets me. Like casually mentioning he's been shot 6 times, or had more than one heart attack. He is at PEAK Nedley this season, and I love it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. There are still a bunch of loose ends / open questions floating about, Purgatory. Which ones are you most hoping to get answers to or do you think we'll get answers to in the back half of the season? 

Earpnado – I assume Cleo is still hanging around somewhere. I don't know how the Clanton heir thing works, but she feels important. I also hope Billy and Rachel can sort things out because they're so adorable and sweet. Maybe Rachel's sexy gay aunts can give her some romance pointers if Billy is un-reapered. And of course Jeremy constantly saying that Robin is safe but never giving any details was intriguing. Robin is currently my guess for who I think that weird scarecrowy guy in the trailer is.  But I'm literally always wrong so put zero faith in that answer.

Lynn – There were several that come to mind. I am hoping we get to the bottom of all of these. How is Cleo going to react to her mother and brother's deaths at the hands of the Earps? What did Billy mean by "we are many"? Which book did Waverly choose and why? What about the ring? Where is Eve? How are Wynonna and Doc going to work through their issues? 

Office – Of course I have ZERO idea which we'll get answers to, but it does seem like there are a LOT of threads that the writers could pull and unravel! Like: What book from the Garden did Waverly choose and what's in it and what's it all about in general? What will be the consequences for the two Earp sisters that just took out two Clantons? Are there two Reapers still? Who is going to be Sheriff and occupy Nedley’s office!? Are there still zombies? Where is Eve? Where is Calamity Jane? Did Nedley eat her? And if Nedley only ate pets, what has been killing people in the woods? Why is Jeremy being so cagey about where Robin is? What's BBD up to? Why did Valdez use the exact same wording as Mercedes to describe how horrible something smelled? Is Valdez really just a teenage girl or is she also more than human? If they return to the Garden, what will it look like since the frozen lake they filmed it on isn't frozen right now? And if they return to the garden then come back through a different door, will there be another/different time jump?? But most importantly, will Doc & Wynonna both have angry sex with Amon and then hold it over each other? Will Nicole and Waverly get a stronger bedframe that holds up to handcuffs better and/or if Nicole is the new Sheriff, will she have to arrest Wynonna and Waverly for what they did to the Clantons thus using handcuffs in a much less fun way?!?! SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Lindsey – Oh wow, I have so many questions that I would like to have answered. Do they actually get answered in 4B? Who knows. It seems like from season to season there are always lingering questions that just hang around. Here are my top 5 that I would like to see addressed:

1) Where is Eve? We know she left the garden and most likely ended up somewhere near Purgatory, but where on the timeline? Is she just hiding out, biding her time or was she dropped somewhere into the Purgatory future and we just havent caught up with her yet? What are her plans? Does she want to destroy ALL of humanity or just Purgatory? And again, why?  What could have happened in the past that she has set her sights on the Ghost River Triangle?  And does it have anything to do with the angels that seem to have "lived" there after they left the garden. And is Waverly ready to come face to face with her again?

2) What's the deal with Cleo? She appears to be the only Clanton left (if Billy isn't still trapped in Shorty's basement). You know that she is going to be even less happy with the Earps now that her mother and brother(s) have been killed. She doesn't appear to be a demon, just a woman with grudge, so how will she fare against Wynonna and Peacemaker? Will she form alliances with some of Purgatory's other less than savory folks or will she go it alone?

3) Can WayHaught ACTUALLY make it to their wedding? You know that won't be a smooth journey. Heck, they can't even make it through one day without some sort of evil-doer coming into their lives. I can see them standing at the altar while Wynonna, Doc, and Jeremy hog tie a werewolf in the background.  And if they do make it, what will it look like? What will Waverly’s dress look like?  What will Nicole wear? Please let it be pants... perhaps I should start my own WayHaught wedding Pinterest board.  Someone please stop me...

4) Can WynDoc find common ground? Will they be able to work through their current differences and co-exist peacefully? If for no other reason than to make the GRT safe for Alice.

5) Will Nicole get her job back?!?!? I'm still holding out hope for that "I AM the sheriff" moment.  With or without the Stetson. 

Docstache –  

  • Why did Haught think it was okay to sacrifice Doc?
  • Is Peacemaker shady and affecting Wynonna’s mentality?
  • Will WynDoc get to a good place so they can at least have some sexy time?
  • Will we see the Wayhaught wedding this season and will it go off without a hitch?
  • WILL THERE BE A SEASON FIVE?!?!?!

Laura – Where is Eve? When does Waverly cut her hair? Do we still see 'Horny Nicole'? Or rather, more of horny Nicole? Where else will we find Wayhaught love scenes this season? Does Rosita have more to play out this season at the covenant safe house? And where did all the nuns learn how to use spears? Does the truck ever get fixed up and refurbished? Will we see Sheriff Haught back in action? Will Wynonna and Doc ever be on the same damn page of the same book?! Will Valdez and Billy fare better than Romeo and Juliet? When will the Earp sisters sit and talk around the fire? Is Nicole invited to the fireside chats now? And where has Jeremy been working out? There's more questions I have but those are the top ones for me right now. 

Kayla – I feel like there was a BUNCH going on in episodes 1 and 2 that have drifted to the wayside, what with all of the stairs and frogs laying around. But where TF is Eve? What's going on with the unfed blood machine? Will we see Julian's ring again? WHAT BOOK DID WAVERLY TAKE AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN?! Maybe most importantly, why TF did Doc throw the Garden satchel down the well??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. There were a lot of new characters introduced this season, which one or more intrigued you most / did you like most and why? 

Earpnado – I loved Holt, and have adored Ty Olsson since he was in Men In Trees (an underrated gem from the early 2000’s). Holt seemed to be a genuinely good guy and the way he went was so sad. He literally said earlier in the episode that his fear was being shot in the back by an Earp (they hide this shit in plain sight, we're idiots), and then it happened. He and Doc were pretty cute too. But getting us to love something and then being like haha it's gone is a Wynonna Writers SPECIALTY so I'm used to it now (no I'm not).

Lynn – I think the new character that has intrigued me the most is Amon. He is so mysterious! What kind of demon is he and what is his actual plan for being in Purgatory and running The Glory Hole? 

Rachel has been a wonderful addition to the story line! She has added a teenage perspective to our band of misfits and fits right into the Team! I look forward to seeing how the writers will continue to weave her into the storyline! 

Office – 1) Amon. That man is intrigue and sex in no shirt and a jacket. 2) Eve. Kevin did warn us that she was a bitch. Also, she's scary as $*@#. 3) Casey. Lo we barely knew ye, but he was funny and was a good foil to Wynonna. Heck, maybe he's still in lock up so we'll see him again. 4) Holt. Mostly because Nicole had zero use for him and 'knows what he did' and so I want to know what he did, even if he's dead. And, yes, it has just occurred to me that the four new characters I find most intriguing are all demons/'dark' heirs of one sort or another.

Lindsey – The character that I am most intrigued by is Amon. We haven't seen a TON of him, but when we do it always seems mysterious. He is mysterious. He seems to have an admiration for, and has openly flirted with, both Doc and Wynonna. He's entered into an employer/employee... situation... with Doc and he gave Wynonna the run down on how to get Peacemaker back. He has situated himself adjacent to Team Earp and there must be a reason. Altruistic demons are rare in Purgatory, they usually have an ulterior motive, and I am sure Amon is no exception. We just don't know what it is yet.  

I am interested to see what Amon's true purpose in Purgatory is. It can't just be to run the Glory Hole. We know he is a demon, but what kind? We know he knows the Clantons, but to what end? And he seems to have his fingers on the pulse of everything that is going on in Purgatory. I am really curious as to his end game. It is my hope that this all becomes more clear in 4B and we find out if we get to keep Amon (and his voice) around for a while or if he is revealed to be yet another enemy who has to be put down. And if that is the case, can we at least see him in the clear light of day first? 

Docstache – Holt. At first, I was like "Who is this Walker Texas Ranger wannabe?!" But after watching his character unfold, I see him as a victim to his family legacy and to me, seemed he wanted no part of it, and in the end was unjustifiably killed for it. Plus I really wanted a buddy for Doc to bro down with amongst all this Estrogen in Purgatory.

Laura – My favorite new characters, thus far, would be Valdez and Amon. There's more to Amon than meets the eye as the owner of what at first was the demon bar in Purgatory but now seems more like a bit of Switzerland in a place that needs it. Shorty's has been a haven for the good or the bad so there was always fighting and probably will remain a place that lacks neutrality. It looks like Amon is keen on keeping his place neutral ground so all patrons, demons, monsters, or humans, can have some good liquor (I barely know her!) and watch a DFK show. And then Amon helped Wynonna find where peacemaker was hiding, I mean c'mon! There's more to this guy and I am here for all the chemistry between him and Doc. 

Now Valdez is not the quintessential teenager while also being the quintessential teenager. She hits all the 'don't need my parents knowing my business at all times' buttons when she continues to run off and not listen to what anyone tries to tell her. But then again, she lived on her own among zombies and who knows what else in the town of Monument for too long especially for someone her age. Look at what being alone in Purgatory did for a person like Nicole. I can only imagine what Rachel is keeping buried and hasn't tried to deal with, not to mention having seen her mom in the manner she was in at the door to the Garden. I think having her youthful energy, maybe even a bit more open-minded, around the family will do all of them some good. They've been through so much shit and I am hoping to see Rachel be able to bridge the gap between Wynonna and Doc. Who else is perfectly in the middle being able to clearly see both sides and help Wynonna see Doc's viewpoints and vice versa.

Kayla – I think Rachel was the perfect addition to Team Earp, but the character that intrigues me most is Cleo. I see her as an alt universe Wynonna. She is sassy and has a commanding presence, and will do whatever it takes to end the curse that is torturing her family. I can't wait to see more of her in the back half of the season, and to see how totally well she's going to handle the Earps killing her family on her land.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. What was one thing from this episode (or the half season in general) that we didn't ask but should have and what is the answer to it?

Earpnado – As is now tradition, I will pose questions that I do not have answers to because I'm bad at following directions. If I become a ghost, do I have to wear a ballgown like TinkerHaught did? Does my Celtic sisters knot tattoo mean I'm part of a demon nun cult? Can we hear more about Rosita and Creepy Phil's wife?  

Lynn – What color did Peacemaker glow when she and Wynonna shot Holt? I think she glowed yellow. Is Rosita going to live it up in Nun City? Yes, yes she is!

Office – This is not a fun question, but I think I'd be remiss in the current social climate to not bring it up: "Was Holt's death predictable based on his race and sexuality?" As I said, this isn't fun, it's uncomfortable. But when we were introduced to 8 new characters in the first four episodes (Rachel, Eve, Casey, Chloe, Holt, Mam, Agent Haicha, Amon, Billy), I knew Holt was expendable, then Mam. Because they were white and straight, Holt also being male. And I knew the rest were most likely not at risk. I remembered all the times when Emily had been asked about POC representation at recent virtual cons and also the bury your gays trope and she talked about how she writes a show where the heroine shoots demons in the forehead most of the time, and she recognizes the need to balance making sure POC weren't simply brought onto the show to be killed by the white heroine, but also making sure to have more POC representation. I also suspect (but I'm not sure) that Amon is safe because he (by all appearances) is at least bisexual, and killing him off will land Wynonna Earp on a list of killing off gays. We are still a looooooong way off from being at a good place for both queer and BIPOC representation, and so we should continue to be very aware of every action (I mean, it would have been UNACCEPTABLE if Holt had been a black or brown man for Wynonna to have shot him in the back and I would not dispute that one bit). But, for shows like Wynonna Earp that are trying to do the right thing, but has little choice but to kill off new characters (since that's what the show is about), should they be given some leeway to harm or if not harm, make queer or BIPOC the bad guys? And if the answer is no, should shows simply not cast BIPOC if the character is going to be killed/harmed/be bad? 

Lindsey – We have reached that time of year again.  We are in hiatus, with 4B coming at some point in 2021, and we have no idea if those six episodes are going to be the last we ever see of Wynonna Earp or if TPTB are going to renew our show for another season.  What are your thoughts about the never ending state of flux that Wynonna Earp finds itself in?

That's a great question, Lindsey, thanks for asking! You see I have been around these parts since the beginning and each and every year we go through this same carousel of emotions. We have the joy that is being IN SEASON and then we have the agony of having to fight for another season, and then just when we think we can breathe easy we find out that nope, there are some people out there that just can't seem to stick to their word and we have to fight like hell just to get what was promised to us.  It's frustrating. It's beyond frustrating. To put all this energy into keeping something, to do everything you (and your fandom) possibly can to support your show, to trend, to make national headlines, and yet we are STILL in this same position every single year. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result? I feel like that is where the Earpers exist. In a perpetual state of high anxiety insanity. It's not good for our health. 

Look, I am realistic. I know that Wynonna Earp can't go on forever. I know it isn't a ratings juggernaut, but for gosh sake what non-premium channel/non-streaming show is these days? I honestly can't think of one. What I can say is that there are so very few shows with a fan base as passionate as ours. And that has got to count for something, right? Maybe. Maybe not. I guess it depends on who you ask. To some we are relevant, necessary, and important. And to some others we are just "those Wynonna Earp people." Nameless, faceless social media accounts that are just kind of a hassle to deal with when all they want is for us to just go away quietly. 

I can only speak for myself when I say that I feel like IF we get a season five (and that's a BIG IF), that is the end of the road. And you know what? I am ok with that. You know why? Because five seasons is a hell of a good run for a show, especially a genre show. You know what I am NOT ok with? Living in THIS version of purgatory. Going into the second half of season four NOT KNOWING if this is the end.  Earpers deserve better and the cast/crew/creatives of Wynonna Earp deserve better. After all that we have been through, let's not forget that Syfy contracted for FIVE seasons from IDW, we deserve to go into a full season knowing that it is our last. The entire Wynonna Earp community deserves to say goodbye to this show properly, knowingly, and lovingly. And that just doesn't happen if these last 6 episodes of season 4 are it. Especially if TPTB decide that we don't deserve the respect of knowing that ahead of time. What can we do about it? I don't know. Maybe nothing. Maybe fight, but we certainly can't do anything if we don't know what's happening. My hope is that TPTB will man/woman up and just give it to us straight. Are we getting a S5 or not? Let's not drag this out. Let's not play this game of "if we don't tell them they won't bother us." It's beneath us and it's beneath them. And yet, I fear that is exactly how it is going to play out. And that's not fair. #JustTellUs

Docstache – Why did Doc appear to have a white tank top under that epic, leather jacket at the end of 406, and why didn't he never take his coat off so we could see the gun show?

Most likely because his hotness would have overshadowed the severity of that WynDoc porch convo, but surely he will have less clothing in the back half because the gentle perv in Docstache is going nuts with the amount of clothing on Doc thus far.

Laura – I have about fifty questions that I haven't asked or posed an answer to yet. The one that I am most curious about with regards to the mid-season finale is do we all get snazzy outfits when we die? Ghost Nicole was in a very nice and flattering outfit. It shimmered just enough and had plenty of room for her to float around in. I think we all get the shimmery outfits but I'd like to put my request in now for silver instead of gold. It's a little more understated but still provides the shimmering effect a ghost needs. If I'm going to be hanging around for more than a second I want to at least be comfortable and in a color that matches my skin tone. 

Kayla – What will the Wayhaught wedding parties look like and how much will you cry?

This is all I have thought about since the season 3 finale, and I have OPINIONS. Doc will marry them (it's the ironic, he's a demon, not a priest, for me), Nedley will walk them both down the aisle, Wynonna is Nicole's MOH, and Jeremy is Waverly's BOH (bae of honor). Because we LOVE cannon best friends. Rachel will sing an acoustic version of Wildwood as Wayhaught come down the aisle. In response to part two of the question, I am crying just thinking about it and won't stop until it comes to fruition (and maybe like, 18 month, 3 weeks, and 4 days after the episode airs).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again, all, for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment